Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mstrande
Resolver I
Resolver I

Best place to store Excel based data for regurlary updates

Hi,

Just a short question. I have some Excelsheets as a base for data into my Power BI. I just want to know where you alla consider is the best place to store them. Sharepoint or Microsoft teams. I want them to update as often as possibly.

(Im really not shure that MS teams works at all)

MSTRANDE

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

I solved it. If you have many Excel sheets on one sharepoint site you need to filter out first which to use and then load it. Otherwise power Bi tries to combine all of them.

Good explanation 

Thanks again for help, very nice.

Mattias

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mstrande ,

Glad to hear that. Please accept your solution above so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

Best Regards,

Icey

SCrowley
Frequent Visitor

Hi, @Mstrande , I have two PowerBI reports that use Excel as their data source. The user updates the Excel file once a week and the other updates once a month. That said, I created a dedicated folders in SharePoint, shared it with the user and use it for the PBIX report. Also I just read this article about using FLOW to automatically update the PBIX report when the Excel file is updated: https://wd5.myworkday.com/jbhunt/d/inst/16253$175354/rel-task/2997$13089.htmld

I hope this helps with your question.

OK, I proberly go for Sharepoint but if it could be good to know if you also could automatic updates from Microsoft teams.

Mattias

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mstrande ,

You can store your Excel files in OneDrive for Business or SharePoint Online. Then, after publishing reports based on them, you can get the data automatically refreshing every one hour which called OneDrive Refresh in Power BI.

If you store your data local, you need a gateway to configure scheduled refresh. For Power BI Pro license, each dataset can refresh 8 times per day. For Premium license, each dataset can refresh 48 times per day.

Best Regards,
Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for answers.

I still wonder if I could do the same from my team in Microsoft teams. I personally thinks that the teams environment for handling files feels very good. The other thing is, how do you change the settings that the .pbx should get the data on Sharepoint instead of the disk?

Mstrande

Anonymous
Not applicable

When you create a team in MS Teams a Sharepoint Online site is actually created in the background and that's where all the files are stored. Teams just allows you to access them via the Teams GUI, but the files still pull from Sharepoint. In your Teams channel go to the files tab and then "Open In Sharepoint". That will be the site that you want to connect your PBI filed to.

Thanks for guidance. I now have all files in SharePoint and have a good connection to teams. Very nice actually.

still don't understand how to import the files. I only get error messages:

An error occurred bla bla se pictureerror import sharepoint.JPG

My wish was to change source from my disk to sharepoint folder.

MSTRANDE

Hi,

I solved it. If you have many Excel sheets on one sharepoint site you need to filter out first which to use and then load it. Otherwise power Bi tries to combine all of them.

Good explanation 

Thanks again for help, very nice.

Mattias

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.