Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wenners68
Helper II
Helper II

Best place to create your Power BI reports

Hi, this is more of a question for opinons than wanting help.

I currently create my datasets in Desktop, publish to Service and then create reports and dashboards there.

But I have also seen people creating all the reports in Desktop, publish and then create the dashboards in service.

So my question is: is there a best practice for where you should create your reports?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @wenners68,

The setup of reports within Power Bi desktop and Power Bi service is similar, however on the desktop version you have the advance edition on the creation of measures, calculated columns and the query editor that allows to edit the data model.

Although there are big advances in the data flow on the PBI service that already allows the use of M language and the query editor not all the advance features are available online.

Going back to your question the best place to create reports depends on your needs but they are similar if you are only on the basic data transformation level and the visuals, looking at advance edition the desktop version is better.

Regards
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @wenners68,

The setup of reports within Power Bi desktop and Power Bi service is similar, however on the desktop version you have the advance edition on the creation of measures, calculated columns and the query editor that allows to edit the data model.

Although there are big advances in the data flow on the PBI service that already allows the use of M language and the query editor not all the advance features are available online.

Going back to your question the best place to create reports depends on your needs but they are similar if you are only on the basic data transformation level and the visuals, looking at advance edition the desktop version is better.

Regards
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.