Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Best approach to Unpivot three columns into a child table?

I have a SPO list that has three columns.

I want to convert those columns into rows on a child table.

I tried UnPivot and selecting just those three columns, but that runs for about 10 minutes (only 400 rows on the list) and then shows errors for every field.  I assume I'm missing something there.

The columns are for logged failures.  A process can fail up to three times before it is terminated.

Failure1, Failure2, Failure3 are the columns.

ProcessRunID, other columns, Failure1, Failure2, Failure3

45,xxx,Input Error, Safety Fault, User Abort

etc...there are perhaps 15 failure options that could be in any of the three columns.  (they have a lookup list)

I want to instead make a child table that has

Failure Events

ProcessRunID, Failure

45, InputError

45,SafetyFault,

45, User Abort

..more rows of course for each process ID, process could have zero to 3 failures.

I can't quite work out how to create that child table and link it back to the main SPO list in the Power BI desktop editor?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

The reason I want this is so that I can just graph most common failure type over all runs.

Basically a bar chart that will show counts of failures so we can see which ones happen most often and when.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

After playing with this a bit to reformat so I could post my data I found a work around that works for me at least:

I duplicate the query (of the SPO list) then I remove ALL columns except for the ID and the failure reasons 1, 2, and 3.

Then I can do the unpivot and it works just fine in PBI without throwing any errors.

I think those extra columns were just messing things up 🙂

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Share your link from where i can download your file.  Also show your epxected output there.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

After playing with this a bit to reformat so I could post my data I found a work around that works for me at least:

I duplicate the query (of the SPO list) then I remove ALL columns except for the ID and the failure reasons 1, 2, and 3.

Then I can do the unpivot and it works just fine in PBI without throwing any errors.

I think those extra columns were just messing things up 🙂

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.