Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rlussky
Helper I
Helper I

Best Way to Filter Dimension Table to Only Values Used in Fact Tables

Hello,

I have a fact table that refers to about 30 of a dimension table's 100 keys. What is best practice to only load dimension table keys that are in the fact table?

I can get what I want by

* referencing the (VERY LARGE) fact table

* removing all columns but the foregin key column

* removing duplicates

* merging (inner join) with the dimension table

I was thinking there has to be a less expensive way than this though. It would be nice to not have all the unnecessary dimension table data. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Use Power Query and Query folding to pre-filter your data, or do that in your data source.

NOTE:  yes, you should reduce the amount of data you load into Power BI as early as possible, but not earlier. Take some time to consider if you are destroying information by applying this filter.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rlussky ,

Could you tell me if @lbendlin 's post helps you a little? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution to make the thread closed. More people will benefit from it.Hope to hear from you‌‌😀

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Use Power Query and Query folding to pre-filter your data, or do that in your data source.

NOTE:  yes, you should reduce the amount of data you load into Power BI as early as possible, but not earlier. Take some time to consider if you are destroying information by applying this filter.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.