Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dbadmin
Helper IV
Helper IV

Best Resource for learning M language?

@ImkeF - I know this is a question for you - and anyone else who might have some ideas.

I put it on the forum in case someone else would be interested in the info also. 

What resources, books, etc... would you recommend for learning M? Some of my reports I can use DAX and it be just fine, but as you know - there are others that require M - and have requirements that DAX can't meet. 

My reports are only getting harder - so I figured it was time to bite the bullet and start teaching myself M. 🙂 Any thoughts? 

EDIT: this was the only book I've found so far - but I wanted to get your recommendations first before I just start buying books.  

http://www.amazon.com/Data-Monkey-Guide-Language-Excel/dp/1615470344/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=14636691...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

I've put together some learning ressources on my website here: http://www.thebiccountant.com/learning-resources/

The book you've mentioned is very good in my eyes. It is best suited for the Excel-user, and espacially at the beginning tries to do as much as possible with the UI. So if you don't have a strong IT-background this is the best start in my eyes.

But it is different if you want to learn M as a language. This approach might better suit those who come from a more technical background. Then I'd recommend to start with the Quick Intro on MSDN or the video.

Apart from that: I can recommend anything on that page. The more you read the easier you understand 🙂

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

I've put together some learning ressources on my website here: http://www.thebiccountant.com/learning-resources/

The book you've mentioned is very good in my eyes. It is best suited for the Excel-user, and espacially at the beginning tries to do as much as possible with the UI. So if you don't have a strong IT-background this is the best start in my eyes.

But it is different if you want to learn M as a language. This approach might better suit those who come from a more technical background. Then I'd recommend to start with the Quick Intro on MSDN or the video.

Apart from that: I can recommend anything on that page. The more you read the easier you understand 🙂

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Nice compilation 🙂 Many thanks!

Hi Imke,

thank you so much for putting together learning resources on your blog.

I was wondering if you are aware of any resources for beginners who want to learn scripting in M from scratch? (very much like on Codecademy, Treehouse or Code.org) I've just read Rookie to Rockstar and M is for Data Monkey which are great resources for starters, both provide little insights into actually writing code in M though.

Thanks,

Rafael

I think this is the only best reference 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/query-bi/m/understanding-power-query-m-functions

Thanks,

Rema

Thanks for sharing your website!

@ImkeF This stuff looks great! 🙂 THANK YOU!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.