Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Practise question for Modelling in Powerbi/Tabular - Avoiding Chained/Nested Chasm Traps

I am currently trying to understand the best practises around Powerbi and Modeling in Powerbi/Tabular (With big data). Below is an example of a snowflake design. (Client  which filters matter which then filters the facts). I just wanted to make sure i am following best practises. 

SimpleExampleSnowflake.png

My approach to a re-design is to split Client off Matter and have it directly pointing to the fact which will create a star schema Model. Is this approach correct? in saying that, the result of me creating a star schema will cause the Client to stop filtering items on Matter unless i created Bidirectional filtering from the fact to both client and matter. What would your approach be? I do not know the implications of having a huge model with bidirectional filtering which supports the star schema design.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another recommended approach is to merge your Client and Matter table into one single denormalised table.  Since both of your tables need to link via the Matter ID, this relationship will still work and you can still organise filters by the Client data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was considering that idea, however my matter and client dimensions are pretty big. So for end users i think i need to keep them split up. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Being big is actually the reason to merge them.  The way the engine stores and compresses the information will likely mean it won't make a large change to the model size, but there is likely to be a performance gain.

From an optimisation standpoint, you can remove unnecessary columns, although from your screenshot you seem fairly lean already, which is a good thing.

v-gizhi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

Please try to make 'Dim Matter' to 'Fact Debt' and 'Fact Sales' reltionships to inactive and create relationships between 'Dim Client' and other two fact tables:

101.PNG

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.