Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Practices for Concurrent Development

Hi,
I would like to know if there are any Standard Best Practices to follow during Concurrent Development.

For example:
There are 10 reports to be developed by 5 developers, where each developer develops 2 reports. At the end, all the reports need to be consolidated into a single PBIX file. While doing so, are there any Standards which needs to be followed.
Can someone help me on this?

Thanks in advance,
Soumya Vinod.
2 REPLIES 2
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @Anonymous 

For different reports they will have different datasets, so i would suggest you publish these reports into one app workspace and create a app for this workspace.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-distribute-apps

Otherwise, you need to combine all the datasource of these reports into one dataset, then let developers use this dataset to create the reports and then copy the visual from different pbix files into one pbix file. this will be more complicated.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
danno
Resolver V
Resolver V

I would try and create a single data model, created from only one power bi file (without any reports).  

When you deploy this model, then any number of users can create reports on top of that model. 

If you then need to converge multiple reports (presumably separate pages) onto one big report, then you can copy / paste pages between reports as the data model will be the same.

You will have to make sure that if users need to create measures, that one person who manages the data model adds the measures, otherwise you will have to copy / paste measures between your reports, as well as report pages.  

The guidance is in this white paper : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/whitepapers - Planning Enterprise Development Page 98

please mark as solution if this helps

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.