Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Johnsnowlife
Helper III
Helper III

Best Practice for equating multiple client names to a single client name

My data comes from different sources and in each source the names for my clients are different. So in my fact table name column I could have "Mr John Doe", "Mr J Doe" and "John Doe" but they all represent the same person.

Currently, I have a ClientNameMap table where ClientNameAlias is the primary key which looks as follows:

KeyClientNameClientNameAlias
1John DoeMr John Doe
2John DoeMr J Doe
3John DoeJohn Doe

Then I have an additional lookup table for ClientInfo about the client. 

KeyClientNameCityCompany
1John DoeLondonBig Company
2Jane SmithMiamiSmall Company

Should I relate ClientInfo[ClientName] to ClientNameMap[ClientName] ? 

Client Name Relationships 1.JPG

Or should I relate ClientInfo[ClientName] to ClientNameMap[ClientNameAlias]?  

Client Name Relationships 2.JPG

In both cases I then relate ClientNameMap[ClientNameAlias] to Sales[ClientNameAlias] 

Client Name Relationships 1-2.JPG

Then I merge Sales with ClientNameMap on the ClientNameAlias column and expand ClientName so that if I want to display a table I can display the official ClientName and not all the different aliases. 

Does this make sense? How should I be dealing with the different names for a single client? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BeemsC
Resolver III
Resolver III

I think, judging from what you've shown us. You need to create a relationship between the 2 'Clientname'
The reason you can create a relationship with clientnamealias aswell, is because (in ur example) 1 in 3 have a relation.

With the way you data is set-up though, you might in some scenarios see 'John Doe' three times, so be careful about that.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
BeemsC
Resolver III
Resolver III

I think, judging from what you've shown us. You need to create a relationship between the 2 'Clientname'
The reason you can create a relationship with clientnamealias aswell, is because (in ur example) 1 in 3 have a relation.

With the way you data is set-up though, you might in some scenarios see 'John Doe' three times, so be careful about that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.