Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

seabrew
Helper II
Helper II

Best Practice Interacting with most Recent Date Data and Historical in the Same Report

On a report I need to slice and data detailed fact table data for the last month end and have that filtered data interact with a stacked bar chart displaying historical data. I got the data to interact mostly the way I wanted by creating a second fact table based on the first and filtering the date of the second table to last month end. There are still some quirks with different aggregation that I am working through.

I then tried splitting out the fact table on the SQL side into one for historical and one for most recent. I am having less success getting the different dataset visuals to interact the way I had them with my first approach. 

Is there a best practice for using fact tables that look at the different periods in the same Power BI page? Am I totally going about it wrong? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Generally, in a case like that you would create another query for each shared dimension between the tables. You would relate this dimension to each of your fact tables and use this shared dimension within your visuals, slicers, etc. Can't really do much more without examples data and what you are trying to accomplish.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @seabrew.

As smoupre said, if you share some sample file, it will be help for troubleshooting.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Generally, in a case like that you would create another query for each shared dimension between the tables. You would relate this dimension to each of your fact tables and use this shared dimension within your visuals, slicers, etc. Can't really do much more without examples data and what you are trying to accomplish.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you @Greg_Deckler! The shared dimension was my issue.

My first attempt had a shared dimension between the fact tables, but my aggregates weren't working correctly. Then I switched to two different dimenions but a shared key between the two fact tables. 

Now I am back to a shared dimension table and I figured out my aggreation issues. I am very comfortable with transactional databases but newer to BI/Analysis Services systems. I have so much more learning to do!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.