Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HawkB
Resolver I
Resolver I

Best Practice: Data has changed column names, how to adapt PowerBI to slightly revised names

Hi all, 

A question of how this should be approached.

The data source (Excel export from database) has changed the names many of the columns meaning that PowerBI no longer automatically picks them up - I can go back into PowerBI refresh data, remove the 'data type' step (after promoting headers) and run this again and that will address most of the issues, but this doesn't automatically update some visuals, and also means that any 'groups' I've created will be lost. 

Is this the best way to approach the change in column names (it's a large amount of names sadly), or is there a way to match old names to new ones meaning that they'll automatically apply to existing visuals and groups? 

The data is a single export and everytime is the whole list, so it's not a period update that could be used as an append or similar. 

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @HawkB 

There is currently no better way. Once the model changes, I'm afraid you'll have to make these complicated replacements.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @HawkB 

There is currently no better way. Once the model changes, I'm afraid you'll have to make these complicated replacements.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

A shame, but thanks for the confirmation. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.