Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Best 5 features of Power BI Desktop

Hi Team,

What are those Top 5 / Best 5 features in Power BI Desktop which you really think are useful and actually add value to your dashboard and really help in bringing more insights.

Context behind this post:- I'm switching my visualization tool from Tableau to Power BI and my audience is already a matured one in terms of exposure to visualization / dashboarding.

And every product has tons of feature to showcase but not each and every feature is equally exciting and add much value. Some are like cosmetic ones which just add to the look and feel. However I'm looking from this perspective that if I want my users to be interested and excited about this new visualization tool for their analytics work , what would be those best 5/10 features which I would like to showcase to them to get their best interest in learning this tool.

I will really appreciate your expert suggestions here.

Regards !!

Arun

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous Hi Arun, I am one of those users who were earlier using tableau but not moved to PowerBI. One of those reasons that my organization decided to switch to powerbi from tableau so I also had to make the switch. Below are few key comparision.

1. Report sharing - Since, most of the people now a days are using office 365 and teams. It is much easier to intergrate or share your powerbi reports/dashboard with users. Powerbi dashboard can be accessed from teams as well. In powerbi, you can create workspaces and share your data or reports very easily with your audience. Also, it is also very easy for end users to consume or access the published reports/dashboards 

2. Power Query: With Powerbi you also get Powerquery which is I think very good tool for data modeling. There are many things which can be done in powerquery before importing data in powerBi desktop

3. Regular update: There is almost monthly update from PowerBi. So they keep on making enhancement in the tool and bringing new visuals. Also powerbi desktop is a free tool you need to pay licence fee if you wish to share your contents with the audience.

4. Custom Visual: Apart from regular visual, you can always import some custom visual to make your data richer for your audience.

5. Dataset: If in your organization, you already have a dataset with some predefined calculations then you dont need to create a seperate dataset. Already available dataset can be used by multiple users for their dashboards.

Finally, both tools might give you the same result. But how easily your data can be shared or accessed by the audience and their experience may determine the success of your dashboard/reports that you create.

you may also refer to below links :

https://www.guru99.com/tableau-vs-power-bi-difference.html

https://techaffinity.com/blog/tableau-vs-power-bi/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot @negi007 for your response.
However my PoV on this is:- 
1. Report Sharing and Content Management process and policies are more or less same in Tableau & Power BI. If I think myself as a user ( just like my existing users who are using Tableau extensively ) , I won't find this as an exciting point which will motivate me to learn PBI. It's not like Tableau is doing a pathetic job in the way reports are shared and content is managed and PBI has oversimplified this process. 
2. I agree with PowerQuery point.

3.Dashboard developers and End users are not really concerned about product updates and frequency. It hardly matters to them. For them , its something which can be done in background.

4.Custom visuals are grey area for me currently , without properly vetting them I cannot allow it and other info-sec policies around it makes it less appealing.

5.Dataset is equivalent to Published Data Sources. However I still go with this point.

So far in my deck , I have included features like:-
Quick insights,

Q&A

Power Query functionality.

But still I feel that the spark is missing.I mean still some key points / features which really can garner some interest in my dashboard developer community is missing.

Honestly I'm not doing a comparison here between two tools because choice has already been made and decision has been locked to move to PBI. So now I'm searching for those key things which can trigger a spark in my developer and end user community.

Regards,

Arun

negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous Hi Arun, I am one of those users who were earlier using tableau but not moved to PowerBI. One of those reasons that my organization decided to switch to powerbi from tableau so I also had to make the switch. Below are few key comparision.

1. Report sharing - Since, most of the people now a days are using office 365 and teams. It is much easier to intergrate or share your powerbi reports/dashboard with users. Powerbi dashboard can be accessed from teams as well. In powerbi, you can create workspaces and share your data or reports very easily with your audience. Also, it is also very easy for end users to consume or access the published reports/dashboards 

2. Power Query: With Powerbi you also get Powerquery which is I think very good tool for data modeling. There are many things which can be done in powerquery before importing data in powerBi desktop

3. Regular update: There is almost monthly update from PowerBi. So they keep on making enhancement in the tool and bringing new visuals. Also powerbi desktop is a free tool you need to pay licence fee if you wish to share your contents with the audience.

4. Custom Visual: Apart from regular visual, you can always import some custom visual to make your data richer for your audience.

5. Dataset: If in your organization, you already have a dataset with some predefined calculations then you dont need to create a seperate dataset. Already available dataset can be used by multiple users for their dashboards.

Finally, both tools might give you the same result. But how easily your data can be shared or accessed by the audience and their experience may determine the success of your dashboard/reports that you create.

you may also refer to below links :

https://techaffinity.com/blog/tableau-vs-power-bi/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.