Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dsoni
Regular Visitor

Benford's Law Analysis & Identifying Duplicates

Hello,

I am an auditor and would like to use Power BI to extract suspicious or unusual transactions from the data. I wanted to run couple things within Power BI; however, I am unable to find appropriate functionalities. 

Is there a way to analyze data through Benford's Law within Power BI. I know it is possible within IDEA (screenshot attached below); however. I am unable to locate similar functionality within Power BI. 

Also, is there a way to identify and extract duplicate transactions from the data. I tried using Edit Queries --> Transform Tab --> Group By --> Advanced. This creates a step and only gives count of duplicated of selected fields; however, it does not provide exact duplicate transaction. I wanted to know if there is any way I could run a function (similar to what IDEA provides in screenshot below - Duplicate Key) which would extract duplicate transactions rather than giving me a count of duplicate fields. 

image.png

Thank you. 

8 REPLIES 8
KrisW
Helper I
Helper I

I played with Tableau, I played with IDEA & I played with PBI... this is the best that I can get at this point.

1) Converted amount to string in IDEA (using ABSOLUTE AMT) - @Strip(@Str(AMOUNT,0,2)), export to Excel

2) Append columns for 1st Digit & 1st 2 Digits

3) Create Benford's for each

let
Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("Transaction Detail.xlsx"), null, true),
Database_Sheet = Source{[Item="Database",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Database_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Added 1st Digit" = Table.AddColumn(#"Promoted Headers", "1st Digit", each Text.Middle([Str Absolute Amount],0,1)),
#"Added 1st 2 Digits" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added 1st Digit", "1st 2 Digits", each Text.Middle([Str Absolute Amount],0,2)),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added 1st 2 Digits",{{"Amount", Currency.Type}, {"1st Digit", Int64.Type}, {"1st 2 Digits", Int64.Type}}),
#"Added Benfords 1st Digit" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Benfords 1st Digit", each Number.Log10([1st Digit] + 1) - Number.Log10([1st Digit])),
#"Added Benfords 1st 2 Digits" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Benfords 1st Digit", "Benfords 1st 2 Digits", each Number.Log10([1st 2 Digits] + 1) - Number.Log10([1st 2 Digits])),
#"Added Kount" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Benfords 1st 2 Digits", "Kount", each 1),
#"Changed Type on Benfords" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Kount",{{"Benfords 1st Digit", type number}, {"Benfords 1st 2 Digits", type number}, {"Kount", Int64.Type}})
in
#"Changed Type on Benfords"

-------------------------------------------

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiZjQ5NGJiOWMtYWMyMy00MTI3LTg0MGQtM2E1OTZlZGVlNzJlIiwidCI6IjEzM...

KrisW
Helper I
Helper I

Great challange!

I was just trying to find out if anyone had done Benford's in PBI - have seen it in Tableau. 

re: Exact transactional duplicates, you would need to work as before Duplicate Key Detection became available in IDEA. Create a "character key field" of concatenated (converted to TEXT) values ie: Vendor#, Invoice#, Invoice Date & Invoice Amount. 

To be honest, I would stick with IDEA for the Duplicate Detection as you also have the Fuzzy Duplicate Detection & can save the history to create a script. Then use the ODBC connector available since 10.3 to connect to your IDEA project folder & use Power BI for all your visuals.

I can be reached through the USA IDEA Help Desk. I will be "playing" with Benford's Analysis & PBI once I get back to the office.

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @dsoni,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @dsoni,

You may create R visuals with Benford's Law Analysis in Power BI. Please refer to this blog which may help you.

In addition, it seems that you want to dentify and extract duplicate transactions from the data. You could achieve that in Query Editor.

Please refer to this video Using Power Query to Keep Duplicate Records which shows the details steps.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
smpa01
Super User
Super User

"Is there a way to analyze data through Benford's Law within Power BI." - if you know how to quantify that law you can always let PBI do the calculation based on that. I don't think there is a built in "Benford's law" functionality exists in PBI

As far as catching duplications are concerend, please share your sample data, advise on which column to catch the duplicates and I can take a look.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs
LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Benford analysis can be done in Power Query like this: https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2015/03/23/benfords-law-and-power-query/

I am sure it could also be done through DAX. Same goes for the duplicates...

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Would same function work within PBI?

That is for you to find out and if you don't give a try you will never know.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.