Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ges

Beginner: XML opened in Power BI > how to load it to Excel

My very steps in Power BI. Please help.

I got the data from an XML file. The data loaded and I wa sable to expand and hide what I want - and I see the result as a flat table.

I have no idea how to preserve it. Wheter I click Apply changes or not, I am loosing my actions. I would like it to be a new flat table with what I see (and then do different filtering with the imported XML and have another few tables, between which I can make relational connections). I am basically stuck at cleaning up the opened XML and no idea how to make the next step.

I though I will feel safe if I can save it to a flat table in Excel, so I know the data will not disappear or whatever and I will have some fimiliar control over it. And then get these Excel tables back to Power BI and play with relations and learn further on to play more with them.

I can't finf any export option at this stage.

The table I see now in Power BI has trumendous numbers of rows, so scroling down or repeatedly hitting ctrl+end like crazy takes me after first thousand rows and then loads following rows in like 50/3 seconds, and it seems like it will never get to the end. As it seems that I can select all and sucessfuly copy to Excel, but only as many rows as there were "loaded" to be displayed in Power BI.

I hope I am missing something stupid I could/should do.

3 REPLIES 3
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @ges

If you are keen to get the data into Excel, why not use the "Get Data" feature inside Excel to import your data.  This is essentially the same as the Query Editor in Power BI.  Only it will deliver the results to Excel rather than to Power BI.

Otherwise, you can export the data from your Power BI model using R Script (an RODBC connector) to a variety of formats but this is not a standard feature of Power BI.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi and thank you @Phil_Seamark

Why I won't use just Excel for that?

• Excel won't open it by Get Data.
  • Access will open it, but will cut off some rows with Errors, and makes several tables with different number of rows - so gluing them together is impossible.
  • Only Power BI opens it and allows me to have it all in one table (after I expand the columns).

I'm afraid it's more confusing than I expected it to be in the first seat based on Power BI introductions.

Seems that to be able to export or work on with the table I should find out how to make what I imported from XML and expanded/cleaned up columns into proper "Dataset" (and I assumed it just happens by itself or with one click, and I don't see any buttons or how to do it, and will probably need to understand more basics before that)

Here are some more options

http://exceleratorbi.com.au/extract-tabular-data-power-bi-service-excel/

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.