Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Beginner: Slicer Not Recognizing Year

Thanks for your patience with a beginner question. I'm creating a simple dashboard for email metrics. The data spans 2019-2020 YTD, and looks like this:

DateDeliveredOpensClicks
Thursday, January 24, 201947191752229
Thursday, April 23, 202047751844233

When you set the slider timeline to span the year, such as "12/1/2019 - 4/30/2020," the visual puts the December 2019 data to the right of the April 2020 data, as if it is ignoring the year. What did I do wrong?

5 REPLIES 5
sanimesa
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

@Anonymous  Please add the Year and Month both from the Date Hierachy to the X-axis of the visual. Then expand the hierachy using the tree option on the visual. Finally, set the X-Axis type to categorical. Image attached below showing these steps. PBI help date hierachhy.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for your help!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example.

Appreciate your Kudos.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, let me try again. My data spans 1/1/19 - 4/30/20.

Annotation 2020-05-09 151500.png

The graph is putting the Nov and Dec 2019 data to the right of Apr 2020. Why is this happening?

It looks like your visual is using a month column without using a year column too.  I would suggest you add a Year column also the x axis.  If you are using the default Date hierarchy, there should also be a Year column with each Date column.  It is recommended to disable that feature and have a separate Date table.  But in your case, you should just need to add a Year column also to X axis.  Without it, it is agreggating all the Aprils, Novembers, etc. together for all years.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.