Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Basket Analysis with Power BI

Hi everyone,
I would like to analyse a data set by identifying relationships through collaborations between companies across different projects.
In one column I have the project name and in another each participant of each project

Column 1:Project          Column 2: Participants

Project A                       Company 1
Project A                       Company 2

Project A                       Company 3

Project B                       Company 3

Project B                       Company 4

Project C                       Company 1

The question I try to analyse is how often e.g. Company A has worked with Company B across all projects in the dataset.

Do you have any tips on how to either organise the data set or use Power BI for this analysis and visualisation? Any direction to former posts in this forum is highly appreciated.

Bests,

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No problem.

Here is a very simple PBIX which I hope helps with setting up this sort of data model.

The steps I followed were:

1. Create the table ProjectParticipation (usine Enter Data in this case) which is the table you originally posted.
  2. Created a Company dimension table by referencing ProjectParticipation and grouping by the Company column. (You could equally create this from an independent list of Companies.)
  3. Created a 'Filter Company' table by referencing Company, and renaming the Company column to Filter Company.
  4. Created relationships as follows:image.png

5. Created the measure Projects with Both Companies:
    Projects with Both Companies = 
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( ProjectParticipation[Project] ),
        CALCULATETABLE (
            SUMMARIZE ( ProjectParticipation, ProjectParticipation[Project] ),
            ALL ( Company ),
            USERELATIONSHIP ( ProjectParticipation[Company], 'Filter Company'[Filter Company] )
        )
    )
    This uses the pattern from DAX Patterns.
  6. Created a basic report page with slicers on Company[Company] and 'Filter Company'[Filter Company]:image.png

7. The above shows that Company 1 & Company 3 have one project in common. You could combine this measure with others to show, for example, what fraction of Company A's projects were shared with Company B (some examples on DAX Patterns).

Hopefully that's useful. Please post back if needed 🙂

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Take a look at Basket Analysis on DAX Patterns.

https://www.daxpatterns.com/basket-analysis/

Also search for "basket analysis" on the forum as I think I have seen it a few times including here.

In terms of the Basket Analysis pattern on DAX Patterns, that pattern counts distinct Orders which contain Products matching the selection on two separate slicers.

In your case, you would use Projects in the place of Orders and Companies in the place of Products.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OwenAuger Thank you for that.
I feel that the steps provided in the link on daxpatterns Basket analysis is already a jumpstart for me. However, being not familiar enough, I would hope for a bit more beginner-style guidance on how to generate the filter tables first.

Adopting my data to the example from the link you shared, the displayed report could not create the tables due to some error in the data tables.

Any additional help - thanks in advance!
Bests,

Nick

No problem.

Here is a very simple PBIX which I hope helps with setting up this sort of data model.

The steps I followed were:

1. Create the table ProjectParticipation (usine Enter Data in this case) which is the table you originally posted.
  2. Created a Company dimension table by referencing ProjectParticipation and grouping by the Company column. (You could equally create this from an independent list of Companies.)
  3. Created a 'Filter Company' table by referencing Company, and renaming the Company column to Filter Company.
  4. Created relationships as follows:image.png

5. Created the measure Projects with Both Companies:
    Projects with Both Companies = 
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( ProjectParticipation[Project] ),
        CALCULATETABLE (
            SUMMARIZE ( ProjectParticipation, ProjectParticipation[Project] ),
            ALL ( Company ),
            USERELATIONSHIP ( ProjectParticipation[Company], 'Filter Company'[Filter Company] )
        )
    )
    This uses the pattern from DAX Patterns.
  6. Created a basic report page with slicers on Company[Company] and 'Filter Company'[Filter Company]:image.png

7. The above shows that Company 1 & Company 3 have one project in common. You could combine this measure with others to show, for example, what fraction of Company A's projects were shared with Company B (some examples on DAX Patterns).

Hopefully that's useful. Please post back if needed 🙂

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.