Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AB_
Regular Visitor

Basing report only on data with the latest date

Hi,

Every few days I receive an excel file with latest data.  The file layout is identical.  It is just that I get the latest snapshot every few days.

I put all the files in the same folder, and my data source is the folder.

I want all my reports to be based only on the latest date (= latest file).  Of course I can manually set a filter on the visual - but I do not want to do that.  I prefer that as soon as the new file is saved in folder, the Power BI report is automatically set to adjust the reports based on the latest data.  It can import all the data into the dataset, I have no issues - it is only the report displaying where I want it to be based on the latest data.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hello, use the TopN filtering to achieve this. You will need to create a file date table - one that contains all the file dates from the snapshots. Create a relationship to your fact table then use it as a filter. Note that after a while you might want to get rid of some of those snapshots as they could start getting pretty large with redundant data. Not the same, but something similar to this will be a solution:

2021-05-07_10-30-24.jpg

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AB_
Regular Visitor

Thanks @samdthompson 

I am a beginner in Power BI and so had some difficulties to figure out how to do what you suggested but finally managed to get it right.

😀

samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hello, use the TopN filtering to achieve this. You will need to create a file date table - one that contains all the file dates from the snapshots. Create a relationship to your fact table then use it as a filter. Note that after a while you might want to get rid of some of those snapshots as they could start getting pretty large with redundant data. Not the same, but something similar to this will be a solution:

2021-05-07_10-30-24.jpg

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.