Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RossCurrie15
Regular Visitor

Basic variance between two columns.

Hi Power BI Experts,

Loaded up two data sets, both identical in fields with exception of one columns values.

Same as how you would do in excel, I would like to do a column with a variance values 1 to values 2 to understand the difference between the two?

Tried creating a column, measure, relationship etc but receiving multiple errors?

Should be a simple = data1 column x - data 2 column x? No?

Thanks for help.

5 REPLIES 5
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RossCurrie15,

If I understand correctly, you created two tables in desktop, and there is a relationship between those two tables, you want to calculate difference between columns within two tables, right?

Assume create a relationship between two tables based on Item field, if you create a calculated column in Table1, you need to use Related() function to return value from Table2. See:

Diff = Table1[Sales1]-RELATED(Table2[Sales2])

z1.PNGz2.PNGz3.PNGz4.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qinyun,

thank you for your explanation and i understand the rationale however when i try to create a relationship between the data, i receive an error message "Missing intermediate data between the two columns"? Yet i can't understand why this would be, both tables have different values in them?

Thanks,

Ross

@RossCurrie15

You have to check the columns that are you trying to related. Maybe someone is different (Data, Format or another thing) to other.

Lima - Peru

Hi @RossCurrie15,

Would you please share the sample data about those two tables? If possible, please share the .PBIX file.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

@RossCurrie15

You should create a new column and as shown in the screenshot, Type in the formula. 

I still do not understand your "No" part of the formula. If can be explained, can provide you a  solution.

variance.PNG

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.