Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ashish_pradhan
Regular Visitor

Basic and Windows Without Impersonation Authentication in Personal Gateway

I have Two Servers. One Sql server and one Windows server. I want to perform Scheduled Refresh On my dashboards. I have installed Personal Gateway. In Data source credentials It is asking For Basic or Windows Without Impersonation Mode.

Can anybody Please tell me when to use these two modes of authentication?

My SQL Data source is not in Local server. When I update anything in SQL Server, It is not reflecting in Dashboards if I Select "Windows Without Impersonation" mode. And If I select Basic Authentication, It is failing to connect to data source Even if i am trying to connect it with Admin Credentials.

Can anyone help me in this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@ashish_pradhan,

• Windows Authentication
    When a user connects through a Windows user account, SQL Server validates the account name and password using the Windows principal token in the operating system.
  • SQL Server Authentication
    When using SQL Server Authentication, logins are created in SQL Server that are not based on Windows user accounts. Both the user name and the password are created by using SQL Server and stored in SQL Server.

Reference
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/choose-an-authentication-mode

The gateway needs to have access to the data source. If your personal machine cannot connect to the data source, you may want to consider installing an On-premises Data Gateway on a machine that does have access to the data source.

So in your scenario, the issue could casued by your local machine do not have access to your SQL Server machine. Please install on-premisses data gateway on your SQL Server machine and use windows authentication on your data gateway.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
LF7
Regular Visitor

@v-caliao-msft 

Hi, in power bi service I have a data source using a service account with another windows credentials and I am unable to edit credentials (using basic authentication method do not work). 

In PBI desktop we do have the option to select alternate credentials for windows but how does it work on PBI service?

Thank you,

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@ashish_pradhan,

• Windows Authentication
    When a user connects through a Windows user account, SQL Server validates the account name and password using the Windows principal token in the operating system.
  • SQL Server Authentication
    When using SQL Server Authentication, logins are created in SQL Server that are not based on Windows user accounts. Both the user name and the password are created by using SQL Server and stored in SQL Server.

Reference
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/choose-an-authentication-mode

The gateway needs to have access to the data source. If your personal machine cannot connect to the data source, you may want to consider installing an On-premises Data Gateway on a machine that does have access to the data source.

So in your scenario, the issue could casued by your local machine do not have access to your SQL Server machine. Please install on-premisses data gateway on your SQL Server machine and use windows authentication on your data gateway.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.