Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

extri13
Helper I
Helper I

[Basic Question] EARLIER/EARLIEST refers to an earlier row context which doesn't exist

Dear BI users,

I can not see EARLIER function working rightly (like below captured image).

Could you please tell me my wrong on the use of EARLIER?

Actually, I am creating MoM measures following below article.

However, I found everytime the error message whenever any use of EARLIER function.

So, I just made a very simple measure and it also show the same error message

even the simple measure is just a example of an article

Measure and error of EARLIER functionMeasure and error of EARLIER function

Sincerely,

Lee, Hong Gwoo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@extri13

As BhaveshPatel said, EARLIER and EARLIEST are usually used in calculated column. I’d like to recommend this article to you. It should be able to make you understand them more clearly.

And EARLIER can also be used in DAX measure in some situations. You can take a look at this article.

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@extri13

As BhaveshPatel said, EARLIER and EARLIEST are usually used in calculated column. I’d like to recommend this article to you. It should be able to make you understand them more clearly.

And EARLIER can also be used in DAX measure in some situations. You can take a look at this article.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Thank you Herbert,

Yes it can be used in DAX Measures too but In that specific case, It was supposed to be used for calculated column.

Regards

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi

It seems to me that instead of creating a calculated column, you are creating a measure. 

To Create a Calculated Column, 

Go to the Table and Right Click, Select New Column and Put the same syntax in there.

This will give you the right results.

Regards,

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.