Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wferrell

Basic Power BI Question with Google Analytics

Hi,

I am tring to build a very basic table which pulls data from GA and displays daily users, sessions, page views, organic search acquisitions, and referral acquisitions.  When i pull the data together, I get the following.  Any help on how I can see this data

correctly would be greatly apprecieted.

Thanks,

WIL

Capture.PNG

10 REPLIES 10
johnsherdy10

Same problem with him

anyone help me please ?

kaushikd
Resolver II
Resolver II

@wferrell

Hi Buddy i dont know much about GA and the mode of connection between PowerBI and GA, but the problem (fill down of a single attribute value for every record) as in your case Average Session Duration, Page Views, and Sessions are same for each records.

This type of problems occurs during:-

1. Improper modeling of measure( Average Session Duration, Page Views, and Sessions).Measure must be a numeric data type when sometimes its datatype is mistaken as text then same values gets rolldown for every record.

2. Improper Relationship, sometimes when your data is coming from 2 or more than 2 tables using join, suppose a measure is picked from a Table A and some fields are picked from Table B if there is no relationship exists between Table A and Table B then same value of measure will be rolled down.

@kaushikd  I think it is the second problem.  I want to use date as the primary key to join but I do not see where in the web interface to make this connection.  Any idea??

Thanks!

@wferrell

While creating relationship make sure that both the datasets have keys to join(Table A and Table B both should have datekey)

or  do one thing pick the date for the main table itself  from which you are picking other measures like(Sessions, views etc)

@kaushikd

I do have date in both of the tables but I do not see where i can create a relationship.  Am i missing somehting on the interface?

Capture.PNG

@wferrell

Perfect In your case as I see your two tables (Daily Users and Site Overview) both have date field in it so basicly these are Fact Tables now you have to create a Dimension table for date( DimDate) and then join the DimDate-->Date field with Daily Users-->Date and Site Overview-->Date.

Please Follow the steps:-

1.Go to Data Tab and in modelling tab select new table

Capture.PNG

Put the code as shown in the fig to create the DimDate 

DimDate = CALENDAR (DATE (2010, 1, 1), DATE (2017, 12, 31))

2. Go to the Relationship mode and join DimDate table with both tables(Daily Users and Site Overviews)

It will look somehow like

Capture.PNG

Now in the table select Date field from DimDate table,Users from Daily User table and AvgSession from Site Overview table.

Hope this will short out your problem.

@kaushikd

Is this available in the online Power BI as well?  i cannot find it!!

Can you share your solution..?

somehow

Sorry i don't understand.  I don't have a solution.  I am using the online cloud version of Power BI

@wferrell

Could you please download the file and share it somewhere so that i can access it and do the modelling for you, or else make a solution and dummy data and share that file with me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.