Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bars&line chart without displaying the line (but still need the data labels)

Dear fellows,

I am working with a bars&line chart but I would need to NOT show the line itself - since it gives the impression of a trend, which is not my case.

I would like to keep the related data labels though, and have them showing up next to each of the bars (they represent a % growth of each of the bars which exress an absolute growth).

In an excel chart, I would just use the 'no line' option in the format options to achieve this.

Is it possible to do the same here, with this or maybe another visual?

It looks like no to me, but would be glad to hear otherwise.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The only solution to position the labels would be change chart type, whether that helps you will depend on your needs on visual design of the chart.

If you create a clustered bar chart, with the data you used on the line previously, set as second bar series, you can:

- Set the color of that second bar to the color of the background (Data colors -> 2nd value)

- Set the data labels voor the second bar to the right position, with the right color (Data labels -> Customize series -> Value 2 -> Postion: = inside base.

- You may want to hide the legend to prevent confusion about the missing line

This would give something like this:

chart2.jpg

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ivostammis
Helper I
Helper I

It is kind of a cheat, but if I understand your question correctly, then yes it is possible.

Just make sure to set the line width (stroke) to 0 in the shapes section when you have the bar/line chart selected! That way you will still see the labels visible

barline.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks,

that helps indeed !Smiley Happy

The only thing is that it's not possible to move data labels around - they still follow the 'pattern' of the (now invisible) line, therefore can be confusing. But I think this is as closest as I would get to what I need...

Thanks

The only solution to position the labels would be change chart type, whether that helps you will depend on your needs on visual design of the chart.

If you create a clustered bar chart, with the data you used on the line previously, set as second bar series, you can:

- Set the color of that second bar to the color of the background (Data colors -> 2nd value)

- Set the data labels voor the second bar to the right position, with the right color (Data labels -> Customize series -> Value 2 -> Postion: = inside base.

- You may want to hide the legend to prevent confusion about the missing line

This would give something like this:

chart2.jpg

Hope that helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, Is it possible to show several barcharts in a single powerbi custom visual?
I've a requirement that must show several bar graphs in the same visual custom, they are metrics connected to each other.
For example:
Chart A --> Chart B
|
Chart D --> Chart E --> Chart Z

Please let me know your comments. Thank You.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.