Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Adham
Helper III
Helper III

Bar chart to filter slicer

Hello All,

I am trying to create a slicer that can be filtered by a bar chart. The data used for both the bar chart and the slicer are from the same table.

Here is a simplified data table for my problem. Say I have the following table:

IDInitials
1AA
2SS
3AA
4SS
5WW
6WW
7AA
8SS
9WW

I created a bar chart with initials on the X-axis and the count of the initials on the y-axis.

The slicer will only show the IDs (Iist of numbers from 1 to 9). When i select WW on the bar chart i want the slicer data to be filtered down to only show 5,6 and 9.

I ask this as i have many IDs and if i can manage to reduce the list of IDs on the slicer it will massively help me. I have to have the slicer as it helps me with query reduction.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @Adham ,

The bar chart can't drive/filter a slicer. You can use a simple table instead of slicer for being driven by the bar chart.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @Adham ,

The bar chart can't drive/filter a slicer. You can use a simple table instead of slicer for being driven by the bar chart.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

I have this same problem.  I appreciate the community answer but this is no solution.  I need the behavior of a dropdown slicer, so it normally doesn't take a lot of space on the page, but when you want to filter via that slicer, you can see the list.  But I also need the list of options in the slicer to shrink down to something managable based on the other selections the user has made on the bar chart and other elements and other slicers.  Like Excel filters when other filters have already been applied.  It's been several years since this post was made so I'm hoping there's a better solution now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.