Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

FW94
Helper I
Helper I

Bar chart showing each day, want grouped by month

I have the below bar chart and I want it to display monthly totals, however it is currently showing the results for each individual day within the months. The date format is recorded as "7 May 2021" (for instance) in the data set, and is linked to a Calendar table. 

Power BI bar chart.PNG

Any help on how to essentially group these days just to show the monthly total would be super appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@FW94 , if you have date/calendar table, then use month year column on axis

column

Month Year = FORMAT([Date],"mmm-yyyy")
Month Year sort = FORMAT([Date],"yyyymm") //sort month year on this

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FW94 ,

You can change the continuous date column to a date with a hierarchical structure. Then drill down to month. I did a test, the reference is as follows:

v-henryk-mstf_0-1620721594814.pngv-henryk-mstf_1-1620721628589.png

the result like this:

v-henryk-mstf_2-1620721692584.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

this worked beautifully

Hi @v-henryk-mstf , thank you for looking into this for me. Since my post I have now managed to solve by following @amitchandak suggestiong of using a Month_Year column in the Calendar table.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@FW94 , if you have date/calendar table, then use month year column on axis

column

Month Year = FORMAT([Date],"mmm-yyyy")
Month Year sort = FORMAT([Date],"yyyymm") //sort month year on this

@amitchandak please excuse my ignorance, still getting to grips with the functionality of Power BI, but are you suggesting I add those DAX to the Data table fields, and then within the Axis of the chart?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.