Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

yaronklein
Helper II
Helper II

Bar chart challenge - set color for bars based on sum of the bars

Hi,
I have an interesting problem that I could not find an easy way to accomplish and I wonder if there is an easy (or a complex) way to acheive it.
Let's assume that I have the below simple bar chart.
I would like to color the bars that sums up to a value with one color while the rest will have another color.
For example, assuming that my target value is 350, I would like to color the first 2 bars in blue as they sum together to 340 and the rest will be in orange. If the target value will be 400, then I will color in blue the 3rd bar as well.
yaronklein_0-1651693361382.png

If you know of a way to achieve that it will be great.
Many thanks,
Yaron

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@yaronklein  Thanks for the explanation.

Here is the solution. Hope this meets your requirement.

Running Total New = IF([Points Total] > 0,

CALCULATE (
SUM ( Issues[Points] ),
FILTER (
ALLSELECTED ( EpicMaster ),
ISONORAFTER ( EpicMaster[Rank], MAX ( EpicMaster[Rank] ), DESC )
)
),
BLANK())

Color Code = 
VAR rt = Issues[Running Total New]
VAR threshold = 100
Return
IF(rt <= threshold, "Blue", "Red")
ghoshabhijeet_0-1653321077826.pngghoshabhijeet_1-1653321092026.png

** If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution, so that it comes in top of the search and help others. Thank you !

Good Luck 👍

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
yaronklein
Helper II
Helper II

Thank you very much ghoshabhijeet, your help is much appriciated!

This seems promising, however i cannot make it work. I tried to use your exact sample ,so I created the exact table and copied the DAX code however I have many issues that I cannot solve.
I assume that when you wrote 'DataTable'[Total Val]' you meant ''DataTable'[Val]'.
On top of that I don't get some of the fields in the various context, for example:

VAR catrankRANKX ( ALL ( 'DataTable'[Category] ), 'DataTable'[I cannot see Val field here],, DESC, DENSE )

Will it be too much to ask you create a sample report and attach it. 
Thanks again,
Yaron

@yaronklein  Please find the google drive link for my solution pbix file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RU0Dix5q3Rf7ZIxaOLlJoStxrAp6vFsn/view?usp=sharing

** If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution, so that it comes in top of the search and help others. Thank you !

Good Luck 👍

Thanks ghoshabhijeet.
I looked carefully into your example and it works 😊. Unfortunately, it is still not working in my use case and I am not sure why. Still trying to figure it out.
Regardless, I have few follow-up questions if you will be able to help me with.

1. Can you explain why you need the ‘Total VAL’?
  2. In my case I have another column ‘Rank’ which define the order of the categories. Rank is a string field and it using to sort alphabetically. I added such a field for your example, but it seems that I don’t have access to it from the RANKX function.
    yaronklein_0-1651758322520.png

3. I always have filters on that affect the list of categories.
    If I am filtering out categories in your example, the bars are not being affected. For example if I filter out categories G and H, I see still only F in blue while I expect to see everything in blue.
    yaronklein_1-1651758322525.png

I assume that this is because you use ALL in various places in the measure.
    I tried to remove the ALL or to use KEEPFILTERS instead, but then the measure has errors or the computation is wrong.
    Do you know how to make it work with filters?

I hope that figuring this things will help me sort this in my report.
I cannot thank you enough for your help.
Thanks,
Yaron  

@yaronklein  If possible, please share your pbix file. Will try to fix the issue in your file. Hope this helps!

Hi again,
You will find a simplified version of the report in the following link. 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R5jr_9EJMlB4UdYyXPLDnvxac7XVuC40/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

@yaronklein  Thanks for sharing the PBIX file. Here is the updated file with the solution.

Link : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hQIk6t_oBYtNJGUw4WZqX1Dy_FJiu_-B/view?usp=sharing

Good Luck 👍

@yaronklein  Did the solution worked for you ?

Good Luck 👍

Hi,

Sorry it took me some time.

It still doesn’t work as expected ☹
I’m still trying to work with your example to solve the following problems:

1. It seems that the code colors all the epics (i.e. bars) if the sum points all of them together is below or above threshold.
    For example, when you select only WMS, you will see the bars as red as the sum of them is below 100 – this is good.
    yaronklein_0-1652100966221.png

However, when you select only POU, all the bars will be colored in blue as the sum of all of them is above 100, while I need to color only up to the threshold of 100.
    This means that in the below bar, assuming that the epic order is correct (see bullet 2 below) and the threshold is 100, it should color only epic 1 as epic 1 + 2 is 110 points.
    yaronklein_1-1652100966224.png

The same will happen if I chose all projects (both WMS and POU):
    yaronklein_2-1652100966225.png

2. The rank is very important as it define the order in which the total sum should be summed, however it doesn’t seem to be taken into account.
    The below table is sorted by the rank and by the order the epics should be summed, which means that if the threshold is 100, epic 3 + 1+ 5 should be colored in red (their combine values is below 100) and the rest should be in in blue.
    The running total seems to be based on the name.
    yaronklein_3-1652100966225.png

Thank you again VERY MUCH for your help.
I see that this is a tough problem to solve...
Yaron

@yaronklein  Thanks for your reply. I am afraid, you didn't mentioned earlier about the order of summation as mentioned in Point 2.

Also, the summation is based on Key and not on names. Will see if I can work on the problem with newly given conditions. Will let you know if I come across any solution. Thanks !

ghoshabhijeet I applogize if I was not clear enough.
I am also continue to find a solution based on your inputs.
For the 10th time...thank you for the work that you already put in this challanging problem. 

@yaronklein  No issues. Thanks for sharing this interesting problem. 😊 Will keep trying to find a solution to this. Thanks !

@yaronklein  I believe you need to have two threshold (Min & Max), else it would be difficuilt to determine the Min and Max value the color should be blue.

For example: If the top 3 bars accumulated total is 120 (1st - 60, 2nd - 50, 3rd - 10) and your threshold is 100. In this case it won't be possible to determine till which data value it should sum.

So, if you have a Min and Max threshold, it will be easier for you to write DAX to determine the total values and color them accordingly.

Thoughts ?

Thank ghoshabhijeet,
I don't think it really matters as there is a need only for one threshold (in your exmaple it will be 100), the min can be 0 and the max can be a very big number. 
So, 0 to 100 it will be blue and 100 to 1000 will be red.
Or as an example:
Epic 3 - 60, Rank 1 - sum 60 < 100 -> blue

Epic 1 - 50, Rank 2 - sum 110 > 100 -> red

Epic 2 - 10, Rank 3 - sum 120 > 100 -> red

@yaronklein  Ok.

Hi ghoshabhijeet,
Did you have a chance to look at this after my last message (message 18)?
Thanks,
Yaron

ghoshabhijeet
So we are almost there...
I changed few things and now everyhting works well, but the sort is by the key and not by the rank. Here is what I changed:

• In measure Running Total New, I changed the ASC to DESC
    ISONORAFTER ( Issues[Key], MAX ( Issues[Key] ), DESC )
  • In measure Color code I changed:
    VAR rt = MAXX(ALLSELECTED(Issues),[Running Total New])
    To:
    VAR rt = Issues[Running Total New]

I cannot figure out how to sort by the rank and not the key.
I tried to play with the function
ISONORAFTER ( Issues[Key], MAX ( Issues[Key] ), DESC ), but if I change anyhting to the Rank field it keeps giving me the total of everything.
I didn't figure out exactly how the ISONORAFTER function works and if the solution is indeed in it. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Yaron

@yaronklein  Sorry, for late reply.

Sorting by Rank column in the dataset would not be of any help because there are missing values for Rank and missing Point column data for the available rank. Whereas the Key column in Issues table has unique set of data for individual row.

So, I was trying make use of Running Total value to rank the values to use in the chart and table. I am still trying to get the desired result from this problem. Will let you know if I could achieve something.

@yaronklein  I believe this solution should work for your requirement.

1. Create a measure for points summation:

Points Total = SUM(Issues[Points])

2. Create a measure for Running Total:

Running Total New =
IF (
[Points Total] > 0,
CALCULATE (
[Points Total],
FILTER (
ALLSELECTED ( Issues ),
)
),
BLANK ()
)

3. Create a measure for coloring the bars of the chart basis your defined threshold and use it for conditional formatting:

Color Code =
VAR rt = [Running Total New]
VAR threshold = 120
RETURN
IF ( rt <= threshold, "Blue", "Red" )

Output 1:

ghoshabhijeet_0-1652892004165.png

Output 2:

ghoshabhijeet_1-1652892477811.png

Good Luck 👍

Hi ghoshabhijeet,
This works well with the epic order, but not with the epic rank order.
The epic name of key has no specific order between them.
The rank of the issues don't really important, only the rank of the epics is important and then the sum of the points in each epic.

I uploaded the latest report with your suggestions here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16tLYWR1kHdG4CtTqBuTlYcyDIYkCpAHr/view?usp=sharing
I used measure'Running Total New 2' as to keep what we already have there before.

I tired to change the line in measure'Running Total New 2' from:

To:
ISONORAFTER ( Issues[Rank], MAX(Issues[Rank]), DESC)
But this doesn't work.

If we can figure out the rank then it is mission accomplished. 
Sorry for the back and forth...
Yaron

@yaronklein  Can you please provide you expected result (in graph and in table format) with the data available in your shared file. The requirement is still not clear for me since the order of summation is critical for you. Thanks !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.