Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

carlol
Helper IV
Helper IV

Bar Chart: Color code based on text

Color-code based on text

Unlike in Excel, you can't color-code text values to display as a particular color, such as "Accepted"=blue, "Declined"=red, "None"=grey. You create measures related to these values and apply formatting based on those instead.

For example, StatusColor = SWITCH('Table'[Status], "Accepted", "blue", "Declined", "red", "None", "grey")

Then in the Background color dialog box, you format the Status field based on the values in the StatusColor field.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-ie/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-conditional-table-formatting

Question

I have a bar chart , the user can choose worldwide and 1 other country 

I want the bar chart to display Color blue for worldwide & Green for the other randonly selected country  

As in Excel, you can color-code text values to display as a particular color, such as "Accepted"=blue, "Declined"=red,

Can I do this in powerBI , the only option I can see , is me going through every feasible selection combo and setting the colors manually but even if I did this combersome task , when published to PowerBi service it appers to loose all formatting

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
carlol
Helper IV
Helper IV

Got it working 

Set a Flag with value 1 or 0 to allow me identify Worldwide and set the other Countries to 0 

Case When CountryD = 9999 Then 1 Else 0 End As IsNational

You can do this in the model , SQL Server .. whatever suits 

Under Data Colors in the clustered Chart I set the FX

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
carlol
Helper IV
Helper IV

Got it working 

Set a Flag with value 1 or 0 to allow me identify Worldwide and set the other Countries to 0 

Case When CountryD = 9999 Then 1 Else 0 End As IsNational

You can do this in the model , SQL Server .. whatever suits 

Under Data Colors in the clustered Chart I set the FX

Capture.PNG

hmahesh94
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @carlol 

There is no direct way to conditionally format based on text in Power BI.

Please try the below method, I believe you have the same situation:

Power BI Conditional Text Formatting Made Easy 

If you think I answered your question, please give it a like and Accept it as a solution.

Cheers!

It is p

Using a table is fine , the issue I am having is trying to implement the same functionailty in a chart 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.