Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bar Chart - Category Selection

In Ms. Excel, when we click on one of the bars, it will automatically select everything that falls within the same category.

Is that possible to do it in PowerBi? Sample as below.

BarChartSelection.gif

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to your requirements, this function can be easily implemented in powerbi desktop. I did the following test: create an identical visual, and then just click the type area below. Then you can get the highlight results of the same category.

v-henryk-mstf_0-1619059342581.png

v-henryk-mstf_1-1619059363462.pngv-henryk-mstf_2-1619059386848.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to your requirements, this function can be easily implemented in powerbi desktop. I did the following test: create an identical visual, and then just click the type area below. Then you can get the highlight results of the same category.

v-henryk-mstf_0-1619059342581.png

v-henryk-mstf_1-1619059363462.pngv-henryk-mstf_2-1619059386848.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Aha! Good one! That's only can be done when we select from legend. 

Not possible to have the same results when select one of the bars?

Hi @Anonymous ,

Yes, if you click on a specific bar, the clicked part will be highlighted, and the same result as above will not be achieved.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

HarishKM
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Anonymous  Hey .

Here in power bi ,we genrally do it with slicer selection to slice and dice the data accordingly .Kindly refer below imgae for your reference .

HarishKM_0-1618906864874.png
2nd slicer for year 2013 .it will slice and dice 2013 data  only in chart .

HarishKM_2-1618906999230.png

more image for your reference .

HarishKM_1-1618906965678.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replying. It's not what we wanted to achieve. 

We want to see the capacity lines in one chart with months on axis X.

HarishKM
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Anonymous  Hey You can do this way .

You can create 2 viz like i have created and both are diffrent level of detail then when will you select anything from bottom chart or top chart it will slice all related category product for you .

Note : once done kindly select viz and go to edit intraction update other chart data to filter from highlighting then it will filter all data otherwise it will highlight.

picture 1 : filtering top chart from bottom one

HarishKM_0-1618914953732.png

Picture 2 : filtering Bottom chart from top chart

HarishKM_1-1618915098911.png

I thing this will fulfil your requirement and you can use button as well to hide viz.

samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hello, yes, thats the nature of cross filtering in PBI. its one of the things that makes it such a powerful visulaisation tool.

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I select one bar, it only selected the bar of that month, not the whole category like Ms. Excel.

Can you show me how to make it works?

Selection.png

Just click on the category in the legend. that will do it for you

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.