The organisation I work for recently migrated their tenant from Singapore to Australian South East.
Since the migration when publishing around 50% of the time I must be hitting the old tenant urls, as I get Bad Request 400 errors. I can simply log out and log in again in top right of Power BI Desktop and it publishes straight away.
Initially I thought it must be something in the pbix file and make sure I save always after doing a relog in, hoping that would correct the issue, but I have noticed it still recurs around 50% of the time with any of the reports I wish to publish.
I have tried uninstalling Power Bi Desktop and reinstalling, wondering if there is any setting I can clear so that it no longer hits the old tenant when trying to publish and always uses the current one.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Yeah I tried that early on, but the migration took place 5 November 2016, so its been around 12 days now, with 3 environments I use rebooted many times since also. Fortunately I can make it work with the relog workaround, but would prefer to work out how to prevent this happening moving forward.
Problems appear resolved now, so likely the tenant migration coincided with the outtage issue, and that I had found a workaround that kept me publishing... Thanks for your ideas