Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

svanderstel

Backward Compatibility - Organization is scrapping BI if not fixed

Hello,

I recently updated my PowerBi from the 2.43.4647.541 (Feb 2017) version to the latest and continued working as usual.  Unexpectadely, every single end user I have notified me that they were not able to view the file without updating.  As many of you who have worked for a global organization will know, the approval and re-packaging process of updating power BI literally takes a minimum of two months.

I see only three solutions:

1. PowerBI provides me with version 2.43.4647.541 and I recreate my entire dashboard in that version so that my client can use it.

2. PowerBI creates a new update that is compatible with the old and specifically the Feb 2017 version.

3. My organization completely scraps BI.

Lastly, I will note I'm shocked that BI would make an update that is not compatible with the old.  I've never seen this happen with Word, Excel, Tableau, etc..  

Best,

Salem

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @svanderstel,

As each new desktop version will release new features than old version, if the .pbix file contains new feature it will not be able to open it in the old version.

In your scenario, you can download the 2.43.4647.541 installer file here. Also you can share reports on Power BI service, see: How should I collaborate on & share dashboards and reports?.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @svanderstel,

As each new desktop version will release new features than old version, if the .pbix file contains new feature it will not be able to open it in the old version.

In your scenario, you can download the 2.43.4647.541 installer file here. Also you can share reports on Power BI service, see: How should I collaborate on & share dashboards and reports?.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you Qiuyun Yu!!! 

Given what you just described with backwards compatibility, it would be really helpful if there was a dedication portion of the PowerBI site where you can download older versions.   

@svanderstel@vanessafvg Currently, each .pbix file is compatible with previous desktop version. You can vote on this same request: Have a backward compatibility when possible.

About the request to have a publish site archive desktop installer files, you can submit a idea here. Also there is a site contains some desktop installer files shared by a kindly community member which you can try: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AAeQzDAWGxxpWEg&id=228348C5C54C28BB%212305&cid=228348C5C54C28B...

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

Having the same issue with a client , I have been working on the last version (march 2019 ) and on the other side , the client is having hard time openning the work I sent to him since he's using power BI (agust 2018)

Is there any way to downgrade all the dashboards that I made to be compatible with the version Agust 2018 or do I have to redo all the work

Regars

I have the same issue. Did you find a way to downgrade your report to an older version. 

My suggestion is to archive old versions of the installation file, however i do agree on this issue, i think its probelmatic.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.