Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

drrai66
Resolver I
Resolver I

Background Color Change based upon Value

Hello Experts

How can I Change the Background Color in the following MATRIX . I want the color to be GREEN for all "Compliant" and RED for "Not Applicable. Help Please.

Thanks

Deepak

Color.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, conditional formatting does not work on text columns/measures, only numeric.

One way that you might be able to achieve this would be to create a measure that returns 1 if "Compliant" and 0 if "Not Applicable". Create a matrix visualization setup the exact same way as your other matrix visualization except use this new measure as a replacement for your other matrix/column. Now, make the Value text size as small as possible. Place this matrix exactly behind your original matrix. Make sure that your original matrix has transparency set to something other than 0%.

Hacky, but that's the best thing I can think of.

When you are all done, go vote for this Idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/32184037-conditional-formatting-f...

I just did.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Esabee
Frequent Visitor

I may have misunderstood, or maybe Power BI has been udpated to allow conditional formatting of matrix cell background colour based on text values, but I have had success with creating a simple measure based on a single text value (A-D). I thought this

might be worth capturing here

BGColourText.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, conditional formatting does not work on text columns/measures, only numeric.

One way that you might be able to achieve this would be to create a measure that returns 1 if "Compliant" and 0 if "Not Applicable". Create a matrix visualization setup the exact same way as your other matrix visualization except use this new measure as a replacement for your other matrix/column. Now, make the Value text size as small as possible. Place this matrix exactly behind your original matrix. Make sure that your original matrix has transparency set to something other than 0%.

Hacky, but that's the best thing I can think of.

When you are all done, go vote for this Idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/32184037-conditional-formatting-f...

I just did.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

It Worked Perfectly!!!

Thanks

Deepak

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.