Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Back filtering unpivoted survey data

Hi all

I'm afraid I'm revisiting this subject as I can not find a solution.

I thought I'd provide some more example data which I hope will help.

Example data

• My aim is to have one visual per "code" (see example data)
  • Whenever you click a visual it will filter the others.
    • Through an ugly series of calculated tables all linking back to a distinct ID's table, I have achieved this.
  • What is left is that when you click an answer within a visual for a particular "code" that it filters the other questions in the same visual

For example, when you click:

Self EmploymentAre you intending to become self-employed or start your own business when you leave AAA?No

It will filter the "Self Employment" visual to show the number of individuals answering yes/no to:

Self EmploymentWould you like to find out more about the skills you need to be self-employed or start your own business?

As well as filtering the other visual in the same way.

I hope this makes sense. I hope it's even possible.

Any and all help would be greatfully received.

Thanks

Beth

6 REPLIES 6
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm not quite understand about your issue. Could you please share us your pbix file and some screenshots about your issue if possible?

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Xi

Thanks for responding

As requested: Community Example Release

As you will see, the visuals filter the other visuals. But I am hoping there is a way to organise the data so that the filtering will work within the same visual as well.

This is the visual layout:

Visuals

I would like the bar in the red circle to be filtered by selection indicated by the blue arrow.

Filtering requirement

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks

Beth

Hi @Anonymous,

First for the reason that the visual will filter the other visuals. It is related to the relationships you created.

2.PNG

As you can see all the tables are related based on the ID.

So when you for example select the first bar (there's a blue arrow on in), it means you are selecting all the related IDs in it. Then it will filter other visuals with these related IDs since they have relationsips between each other. You can understand it as page level filter.

However, for the same visual. The relations in it are not only the IDs. They are all the columns in the chart. So when you select the first bar, it will only filter the records with same Answer, same Question and same ID. Obviously, these records will not be found. That's why you cannot make the filtering work within the same visual. And you can understand it as visual level filer. The two filter are different.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Xi

Thanks for that, yes I am already clear on why the current arrangement doesn't work the way I want it to :$

I was hoping for help and inspiration on how to better structure this data so that it can be done.

Or do you think it is impossible to do the way I want to do it?

Thanks

Beth

Hi @Anonymous,

If you mean that you want to filter the record within the same chart visual. I'm afraid it cannot be achieved.

But maybe you can try to use Slicers to filter those records not use the bars inside a visual.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Xi Jin

Well, not what I had hoped for, but at least we tried!

Thanks

Beth

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.