Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jvirgi
Helper III
Helper III

BUG with ALLSELECTED using a Hierarchical Slicer?

I think this is a bug, but let me know if its actually the desired behavior of ALLSELECTED.

I have 2 tables:

1 - table of locations  (COUNTRY, STATE, CITY)  [SLICE DATA ON THIS]

2 - Table of Places within those locations.  (CITY, PLACES)  [SHOW COUNTS OF THIS DATA]

They are disconnected, and i'm counting the number of places using a formula when the selected cities match.  

Using ALLSELECTED, when i select cities using the CITY level in the slicer, all works well.  If i Use the STATE level to pick all the cities,  ALLSELECTED reverts to using ALL cities, not just the ones selected by the STATE level.  Almost as if its seeing i chose a state, and so its thinking to show all cities..  Also it does this though if i choose all the cities within the state,  it then reverts to showing results for everything.

All is fixed when i use 'VALUES instead of ALLSELECTED, but i thought this wasnt the right behavior.

Thoughts?

Hierarchical Slicer With ALLSELECTED PBIX 

allselected vs values.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jvirgi ,

ALLSELECTED does not take into account the filter context. Its main purpose is that of retrieving a previously set shadow filter context. ALLSELECTED is very different from VALUES or DISTINCT. VALUES and DISTINCT always take into account the filter context, whereas ALLSELECTED does not. ALLSELECTED works on a column and checks whether that column is filtered by a shadow filter context, ignoring any cross-filter.You can learn more from the below article. It is very detailed.

the-definitive-guide-to-allselected : https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/the-definitive-guide-to-allselected/   

Wish it is helpful for you!

Best Regard

Lucien Wang

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jvirgi ,

ALLSELECTED does not take into account the filter context. Its main purpose is that of retrieving a previously set shadow filter context. ALLSELECTED is very different from VALUES or DISTINCT. VALUES and DISTINCT always take into account the filter context, whereas ALLSELECTED does not. ALLSELECTED works on a column and checks whether that column is filtered by a shadow filter context, ignoring any cross-filter.You can learn more from the below article. It is very detailed.

the-definitive-guide-to-allselected : https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/the-definitive-guide-to-allselected/   

Wish it is helpful for you!

Best Regard

Lucien Wang

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

This is the measure you're using:

City_Places_Count_ALLSELECTED = 
CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Places List'),
    FILTER('Places List','Places List'[City] in ALLSELECTED(Locations[City]))
)

Notice that you're using ALLSELECTED specifically on the Locations[City] column but your filter is actually on Locations[State]. Much like the difference between ISFILTERED and ISCROSSFILTERED, since the city is only indirectly filtered by state, there are no direct filters on Location[City], so ALLSELECTED(Locations[City]) behaves like ALL(Locations[City]).

These versions should work as you'd expect:

City_Places_Count_IN =
CALCULATE (
    COUNTROWS ( 'Places List' ),
    'Places List'[City] IN VALUES ( Locations[City] )
)

City_Places_Count_TREATAS =
CALCULATE (
    COUNTROWS ( 'Places List' ),
    TREATAS( VALUES( Locations[City] ), 'Places List'[City] )
)

Or you could set up a relationship between the tables and just use COUNTROWS ( 'Places List' ).

@AlexisOlson Thanks for the explanation.  That makes sense.  What doesn't make sense to me then is if you select all the cities directly within a State,  It behaves as if you directly filtered the state and shows ALL.

Yeah, they should probably make the slicer behavior more intuitive in this respect. It definitely causes unexpected behavior at times.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.