Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ppvinsights
Helper III
Helper III

BUG if creating reports online

Hi community,

sometimes it is a good idea to create new reports based on existing datasets - I know, there is a new feature using direct query. But in the current version of Power BI Service there is a problem, which is really difficult to explain to customers (IMHO: a bug).

Scenario:

You have a report REP_A and a dataset DS_A which you created using power bi desktop and published to the service. Online you see two artefacts: REP_A and DS_A. Using the context menu of DS_A you are able to create a new report using DS_A. We call this new report REP_B. There is no dataset REP_B.

If you look into the property page of dataset DS_A you see, that it is used by REP_A and REP_B - everything is fine so far.

Now you export REP_B as pbix-file to edit it locally. And now the magic happens: The dataset DS_A is duplicated (you can see the guid inside the pbix-file of REP_B). A customer would not see that. 

Now I change something in the report REP_B in power bi desktop - and publish it again. Guess whats happening: you will find REP_B and a new DS_B. 

So you will argue, that this is logical because the dataset was duplicated when exporting REP_B and the new publish creates the new dataset DS_B in the service.

Yes and no. Because after publishing REP_B you have THREE artifacts:

- REP_B

- REP_B

- DS_B

So: the original reports REP_B which we exported to power bi desktop is not overwritten. Instead power bi service created another report with the same name!

So IMHO there is a flaw and a bug:

- copying the dataset when exporting without knowledge of the user is a flaw.

- bug: After creating a new report in the service using an existing dataset there is no chance to edit this report in power bi desktop. Because doing that the dataset is duplicated...

Any ideas about that? 

Thanks

Holger

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ppvinsights,

These situations you mention should be common usage scenarios but currently not supported on the power bi desktop side.

These requirements sound to keep the reference to an existing data source and do custom with them and keep sync with the old data source. (reference an existing report dataset is one of the requirements that often mentions)
In fact, it is hard to create a 'live' report based on the data source that fully references from another report dataset and keeping syncing.
In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you submit ideas to improve the features of the power bi service connector to achieve design reports with 'live' mode datasets as you mention.

In summary, these requirements should more relate to feature requests instead of existed feature/usage bugs.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ppvinsights,

I'd like some more detailed information to help us clarify your scenario and refer to your step to reproduce and troubleshoot this.

1. What version of the power bi desktop are you test? (official version or report server optimized version) Does any preview feature enabled on your desktop client?

2. What type of changes/operation are you apply to the download report file?

3. The raw report data source type and connection mode.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin Sheng,

thanks for your answer. Hard for me to understand the feedback (bit like I should restart my laptop...)

But anyway:

1) My Power BI Desktop Version is "Version: 2.90.782.0 64-bit (Februar 2021)" - the direct query for datasets preview is not enabled.

2) If you are in the pbi service in a workspace you see a list with reports and datasets. In the menu of a dataset you will find "Create report". This is what I did to create a new report. In the editor I created a visual, just to have anything. In the menu of the new report you will find an export "Export to pbix". That is what I did.

3) I have a dataset, import mode, the data were imported via MS Acess.

Please keep in mind:

Wenn creating a new report on a dataset online the new report uses the existing dataset. This has nothing to do with my local power bi desktop version. Wenn exporting the pbix-file I receive the dataset as part of the pbix-File (this is not as expected, because I thought it shoul just be a linked dataset). I can see that using just the file, unzip it - no power bi desktop in any version necessary. The dataset has the same GUID as dataset in Power bI Service. But in the moment I republish the report (ok, here the power bi desktop comes into play) a new dataset is created - and a new report unfortunately with the same name as the old one...)

HI @ppvinsights,

Sure, I can reproduce your scenario based on your description. In my opinion, I think they are work as expected instead of bug.

When you work online, power bi service simply to keeping the original relationships and reference to mapping new report to the raw dataset. Until these steps, these contents works well and no duplicate content existed.

The duplicate contents should be created when you use the export pbix file feature. AFAIK, the export report can't direct link to the online datasets, so power bi rebuilds the relationship and create a new dataset(with new guid) for these customize report content usage on the desktop side. 

If power bi keeps use the original dataset and correspond guid, it should cause conflict when you publish the new report to the power bi service. (downloaded report use raw dataset, the old report also used the dataset and it has been referenced by report2 created online)

For these situations, power bi generates a new dataset(with a different guid) should be a good choice for keeping both old content and new content usage.

In addition, you can also consider to share your requirements to idea forum to help improve power bi usage.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hi,

thanks for your answer. I (have to) accept the answer. But IMHO the reasons you mentioned are...not plausible. My thoughts:

- If I have a report created in Power BI Desktop, I link this report to another dataset, I am able to publish the report without publishing an new dataset. If I export this report from the service I can edit it and republish it. No dataset is created.

- If I create a report on a dataset online, the dataset is linked. This means, that if anyone makes changes to the linked dataset this is reflected in the newly generated report. But if the user wants to edit the report in power bi desktop, he HAS TO export the report - and up from this moment the dataset is copied. A total different behaviour as in scenario above, where the linked dataset is kept. And the next problem is, that after republishing the report the user creates a new report online with the SAME NAME. I cannot imagine that this is really by design - but ok.

- You have no chance to create a new report linked to an existing dataset online and edit this one in Power BI Desktop. Because if you do that, a new dataset is created instad of linking the old one. Again: not a good behaviour for customers which have not alway an IT background...

So again: it is hard for me to believe that this is by design.

Best 

Holger

Hi @ppvinsights,

These situations you mention should be common usage scenarios but currently not supported on the power bi desktop side.

These requirements sound to keep the reference to an existing data source and do custom with them and keep sync with the old data source. (reference an existing report dataset is one of the requirements that often mentions)
In fact, it is hard to create a 'live' report based on the data source that fully references from another report dataset and keeping syncing.
In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you submit ideas to improve the features of the power bi service connector to achieve design reports with 'live' mode datasets as you mention.

In summary, these requirements should more relate to feature requests instead of existed feature/usage bugs.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.