Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

BUG/Enhancement: PBI Desktop connecting to SQL Server on Docker

I spent half a day trying to figure out why I could connect to my SQL Server Docker container with multiple tools (Aginity Pro, Azure Data Studio, VSCode, sqlcmd), but I could not connect using "localhost:1433" as the server name via PBI Desktop.

When you open PBI Desktop and navigate to Get Data > SQL Server, the information icon next to the Server textbox says to use "servername:port" which only ever sent back errors when attempting to connect to my Docker container. I thought something port/tcp setting was incorrect within Docker, but I was finally able to connect using "localhost, 1433" instead of the "servername:port" format. The only reason I ended up being able to connect was from another user mentioning to use "localhost, 1433" as the Server.

It would be beneficial for PBI Desktop to either: auto-resolve "localhost:1433" when connecting to a Docker container, or to include all combinations of connection strings inside of the information icon 🙂

1 REPLY 1
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

I would suggest you create an idea here to help power bi improve.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.