cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

BUG/Enhancement: PBI Desktop connecting to SQL Server on Docker

I spent half a day trying to figure out why I could connect to my SQL Server Docker container with multiple tools (Aginity Pro, Azure Data Studio, VSCode, sqlcmd), but I could not connect using "localhost:1433" as the server name via PBI Desktop.

When you open PBI Desktop and navigate to Get Data > SQL Server, the information icon next to the Server textbox says to use "servername:port" which only ever sent back errors when attempting to connect to my Docker container. I thought something port/tcp setting was incorrect within Docker, but I was finally able to connect using "localhost, 1433" instead of the "servername:port" format. The only reason I ended up being able to connect was from another user mentioning to use "localhost, 1433" as the Server.

It would be beneficial for PBI Desktop to either: auto-resolve "localhost:1433" when connecting to a Docker container, or to include all combinations of connection strings inside of the information icon 🙂

1 REPLY 1
Community Support
Community Support

@chrisparks ,

I would suggest you create an idea here to help power bi improve.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
November Update

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the November 2020 Updates!

Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

secondImage

Power Platform October Community Highlights

Check out the top community contributors across all of the communities

secondImage

Create an end-to-end data and analytics solution

Learn how Power BI works with the latest Azure data and analytics innovations at the digital event with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors