cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

BLANK in slicers in Composite Model - No way to assume referential integrity?

Please consider this painfully simple model...

1.png

The STORE and CALENDAR tables are DIRECTQUERY mode. The FACT_IMPORT table is IMPORT MODE.

I cannot modify the relationships to force referential integrity. It is grayed out.

1a.png

When I create slicers from my STORE and CALENDAR tables, I get (BLANK) as a value because I cannot assume RI in my composite model.

2.png

If I change the model to all IMPORT or all DIRECTQUERY, all's well. Import assumes RI by default, and DirectQuery actually lets you force RI.

3.png

Is this a bug or a feature? I'd like to be able to force RI in a composite model, because my data is pristine. But it cannot be done as far as I can see. I also don't see it as a known limitation in the documentation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

Re: BLANK in slicers in Composite Model - No way to assume referential integrity!?

@Sorphicle - I think this is more classified as a "side-effect" of composite models that you can't enforce RI and it kind of makes sense why you cannot. In import mode, all the data is in the model so it knows if there is RI. In Direct Query, again, the RI is enforced at the database level. But for composite models, part of the data is in the model in import mode and part of it is in Direct Query (the source) which is not known until enumerated and it could change every enumeration theoretically so it cannot enforce RI.

---------------------------------------

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

Re: BLANK in slicers in Composite Model - No way to assume referential integrity!?

@Sorphicle - I think this is more classified as a "side-effect" of composite models that you can't enforce RI and it kind of makes sense why you cannot. In import mode, all the data is in the model so it knows if there is RI. In Direct Query, again, the RI is enforced at the database level. But for composite models, part of the data is in the model in import mode and part of it is in Direct Query (the source) which is not known until enumerated and it could change every enumeration theoretically so it cannot enforce RI.

---------------------------------------

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

@Sorphicle , refer if these can help

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2019/07/10/power-bi-slicers-show-values-that-do-not-exist/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23qemkDqMVY

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
Dashboard of My Blogs !! YouTube Channel !! Connect on Linkedin

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

@Greg_Deckler Well said, and makes sense. Thanks!  Though, I still wish there was a "Just trust me" checkbox in the relationship properties between DirectQuery and Import mode tables. Maybe someday. 😁

Helpful resources

Announcements
Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!.

Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors