Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BIN not working as expected

Hi community,

I've created this Rank Measure

Ranking =
var selectedID=VALUES(DimCustomer[Id])
var aTable =
ADDCOLUMNS(
SUMMARIZE(DimCustomer,DimCustomer[Id]),"rank 2",[Rank],"measure 3",[Measure 3])
return
CALCULATE(SUMX(aTable,[rank 2]),FILTER(aTable,[rank 2]>=VALUES(DimRank[Lower])&&[rank 2]<=VALUES(DimRank[Upper])))

Capture.PNG

My aim is to Bin the ranked customers into the correct buckets but this is what I get once I remove the customer ID column.

Any ideas why? or how to fix this? Not sure why the buckets isnt working as expected.

Wrong result:

Capture.PNG

I'm expecting to see the below, once the Customer ID is removed.

Capture.PNG

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So to summarize the solution for anyone who may need it in the future.

The aim was to generate the following Pareto Graph.

Customers are ranked based on their spend (dynamic filters applied). Then grouped into 1-100 bins based on their rank.

Each bar represent the total spend per group.

Capture.PNG

So having created rank, based on the individuals spend. Then I needed 2 measures.

1. I created the following measure, to group the total sales by rank bin. I've included a screenshot of the DimRank table I created. It is an unconnected table.

(For some reason the measure didn't work when I tried to simplify my dax any further/using variables so there is some repetition)

Capture.PNG

DimRank table looks like:

Capture.PNG

Then I created the second measure, using the previous measure I created:

Capture.PNG

This measure is then used in the line/bar chart in column values.

Please note, it may look like "rankingid>=VALUES(DimRank[Lower])&&rankingid<=VALUES(DimRank[Upper])" in both measures seem redundant but it is required so that each bar does not show All spend in every bucket.

Similar logic is applied for the cumulative%, which basically adds all spend with lower rank. For completeness, I've included below.

This is then applied in the Line values in the chart, with DimRank.Buckets as the Shared Axis.

1st measure:

Capture.PNG

2nd measure:

Capture.PNG

Happy Daxing!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@PerAsperaAdAstr , Value selectedID need to used

Ranking =
var selectedID=VALUES(DimCustomer[Id])
var aTable =
ADDCOLUMNS(
SUMMARIZE(DimCustomer,DimCustomer[Id]),"rank 2",[Rank],"measure 3",[Measure 3])
return
CALCULATE(SUMX(values(selectedID),[rank 2]),FILTER(aTable,[rank 2]>=VALUES(DimRank[Lower])&&[rank 2]<=VALUES(DimRank[Upper])))

see if the above can work. moved that to sumx

also, refer

https://www.daxpatterns.com/dynamic-segmentation/
https://radacad.com/grouping-and-binning-step-towards-better-data-visualization

https://radacad.com/dynamic-banding-or-grouping-in-power-bi-using-dax-measures-choose-the-size-of-bi...
https://www.credera.com/blog/technology-solutions/creating-aging-report-using-a-user-selected-date-i...

new dax didnt work

@PerAsperaAdAstr , Try like

Ranking =
CALCULATE(SUMX(VALUES(DimCustomer[Id]),[rank]),FILTER(aTable,[Rank]>=Min(DimRank[Lower])&&[rank ]<=Max(DimRank[Upper])))

I've got it working now. I had a filter on (Measure 3 not blank) and that hid some of the data. 

So this measure works!

Total GMV GBP TT BIN =

var aTable =
ADDCOLUMNS(
SUMMARIZE(DimCustomer,DimCustomer[Id]),"rank 2",[Rank],"measure 3",[Total GMV GBP BIN1])
return

CALCULATE(SUMX(aTable,[measure 3]),FILTER(aTable,[rank 2]>=VALUES(DimRank[Lower])&&[rank 2]<=VALUES(DimRank[Upper])))

Total GMV GBP BIN1 =
Capture.PNG

So to summarize the solution for anyone who may need it in the future.

The aim was to generate the following Pareto Graph.

Customers are ranked based on their spend (dynamic filters applied). Then grouped into 1-100 bins based on their rank.

Each bar represent the total spend per group.

Capture.PNG

So having created rank, based on the individuals spend. Then I needed 2 measures.

1. I created the following measure, to group the total sales by rank bin. I've included a screenshot of the DimRank table I created. It is an unconnected table.

(For some reason the measure didn't work when I tried to simplify my dax any further/using variables so there is some repetition)

Capture.PNG

DimRank table looks like:

Capture.PNG

Then I created the second measure, using the previous measure I created:

Capture.PNG

This measure is then used in the line/bar chart in column values.

Please note, it may look like "rankingid>=VALUES(DimRank[Lower])&&rankingid<=VALUES(DimRank[Upper])" in both measures seem redundant but it is required so that each bar does not show All spend in every bucket.

Similar logic is applied for the cumulative%, which basically adds all spend with lower rank. For completeness, I've included below.

This is then applied in the Line values in the chart, with DimRank.Buckets as the Shared Axis.

1st measure:

Capture.PNG

2nd measure:

Capture.PNG

Happy Daxing!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.