Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

IanM
Frequent Visitor

BI Crashes when Using a Text Box

Hello All,  (not sure if this is correct board please let me know if it is better off elsewhere)

I have recently updated to the new desktop version (March 2020)   noe everytime I try to add a Text box or edit an existing text box, the instence of BI closes with no message.  I cant see reference to a know bug anywhere??  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @lee_ , @IanM , @jpanzeca ,

Two days ago, there is a new version 2.79.5768.1082 of Power BI Desktop, but it does not mention what is fixed in the new version, could you please try to verify if this issue can reproduce in this new version?

If this issue still be reproducible on your side, We suggest you to open a ticket here for help if you are a pro user: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hey @v-lid-msft   a quick check with the new version appears to have the issue sorted 

Appreciate the help and support

Cheers 

Ian

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
jpanzeca
Advocate I
Advocate I

I am having this same issue.

I am unable to download from MS Store.

I have downloaded Version: 2.79.5768.721 64-bit (March 2020) from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58494

Hi @jpanzeca , @IanM ,

Do you mean the text box in the following picture? What version of ribbon you are using, updated or old? Please check it in the "Options" - "Preview feature" - "Updated Ribbon", then check if the issue can be reproduced in the other version of ribbon.

1.jpg

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am using the Updated Ribbon.

I switched to the Old Ribbon and had the same issue.

I forwarded this PBX file to another laptop and did not have the issue.

Since I was unable to get to the MS Store am I getting the correct version?

See my previous comment.

Thanks,

John.

Hi @jpanzeca , -

We are using the same version as your and downloaded from the same website, if it does not contain any confidential information, could you please share what preview features are enabled in "options"  - "preview features" ? Does this pbix crashed in february version? Have you tried to re-install the Power BI Desktop?

Best regards,

No Preview Features are checked.

I believe this began with the March version.

Yes, I have re-installed multiple times.

Thanks for your help!

lee_
Frequent Visitor

Thanks to OP - having exact same issue. As soon as I click into a textbox, crashes back to desktop with no message, error or warning.

Same scenario - reinstalled Mar2020 version, no preview features.

Issue doesn't exist on the same version on a different machine, but unfortunately due to our security setup, I have to work on the machine that the issue is with.

Hi @lee_ , @IanM , @jpanzeca ,

Two days ago, there is a new version 2.79.5768.1082 of Power BI Desktop, but it does not mention what is fixed in the new version, could you please try to verify if this issue can reproduce in this new version?

If this issue still be reproducible on your side, We suggest you to open a ticket here for help if you are a pro user: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Best regards,

@v-lid-msft 

The latest version appears to have solved the issue.

Thank you so much for your help!

Hey @v-lid-msft   a quick check with the new version appears to have the issue sorted 

Appreciate the help and support

Cheers 

Ian

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @IanM ,

Sorry for that, but we cannot reproduce your issue on my side with the Power BI Desktop 2.79.5768.721 64-bit (March 2020), Are you using the standard version or MS Store Version? Does this error also happened in a blank report? Have you tried to re-install the Power BI Desktop?

Best regards,

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Very strange. I do not have that issue at all. 32-bit or 64-bit? What is the exact version number? 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.