Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

Azure SQL Refresh Frequency using Direct Query

Hello all,

THis is my first test with Azure SQL Service. Here are the details:

1. Created reports/graph using Azure SQL Server in PowerBI Desktop via Direct Query.

2. Published the report to PowerBI Services.

3. Created dashboard from the reports and enabled last refresh time on one of the tile on dashboard.

Last refresh time on my tile was 12:59PM and next refresh happened at  1:30PM (approx. after 30 minutes)

Question here is:

1. How frequent dashboard tiles get refreshed?

2. Can this be changed? (Couldn't find out anywhere on dataset)

3. How it is different if you use "get data" in PowerBI Service to connect to same Azure SQL Server and create all reports in PowerBI Service?

Thanks in advance,

P

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

5 REPLIES 5
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@parry2k

1. Dashboard tile cache gets refreshed every 15 minutes

2. This can't be changed at the moment

3. Get Data in powerbi service is about connecting to Azure from PowerBI and like desktop DirectQuery there is live connection to Azure from Powerbi. This will not have any effect on dashboard tiles I believe.

As per my example, it didn't refresh in 15 minutes. I will keep an eye to see how often it does refresh. unfortunately it doesn't show in the refresh history how often it is refreshing.

Thanks,

Parv

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

As per my example, it didn't refresh in 15 minutes. I will keep an eye to see how often it does refresh, refresh history doesn't show anything.

Thanks,

Parv

@parry2k You can turn on tile refresh time display by clicking on three dots on top right hand corner of tile -> Tiile Details -> Display refresh time.

2016-05-11_15-02-59.png

@ankitpatira

May I know what is the tile type in your snapshot, I can't find the checkbox display last refresh time anywhere.
Thanks in advance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.