Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Andy_D
Regular Visitor

Azure Log analytics authentication query

Morning all, I have tried searching for an answer but cant find one to help so hoping the experts here can point me in the right direction.

I have created a simple dashboard that is used to generate numbers for a weekly stats report and I have published it to an internal area so the team creating the weekly report can see it.  However their credentials do not have permissions to refresh the data as they do not have accounts over the Azure tenants where the data is coming from.

The queries behind the data are imported directly from Kusto queries in Azure Log Analytics using my credentials to authenticate so I need to find a way to provide some alternative "generic" method of authentication.  Is this possible with e.g. api keys or similar conencting to the log analytics workspace?

thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8
micpol
Frequent Visitor

I have faced the same issue. Any follow-up so far?

lily99
Regular Visitor

Hello,

I want to use the application credential to query Log Analytics REST API, not  my own credential. My issue is very similar with the posts above. Does any PowerBI expert have any direction of how to handle this scenario?

Your help is much appreciated.

-ly

muzzar78

We too are experiencing this same issue. We need to be able to use a service principal for the scheduled refresh but haven't found anyway to do it. Has anyone found a solution?

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Andy_D ,

Based on this document, we can configure the scheduled refresh to keep your data up to date. If you are looking for the access control of credentials, please refer to this document.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks but it hasnt quite helped,

I'm OK with the RBAC roles and scheduled refresh - I'm more after how to use a "non-user" account to do the refresh itself.

I need to use a set of credentials to refresh the data that are not linked to a user account with an expiring password.

is there a way of using e.g. an application service principal or the storage account keys themselves somehow?

Andy

Hi Andy,

I'm after the same the same setup, connecting to Log Analytics Workspace using a M query and authenticating with a azure service principal.

Were you able to find a way to do it?

Adam

Has anyone found a solution to this? I am facing the same issue.

Any luck to resolve this issue. I also have same problem that I want to export data from log analytics to Power BI and want to schedule refresh with user interaction. How we can achieve it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.