Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mrquestionmark
Frequent Visitor

Azure DevOps Server data source refreshing in PBI on-premise server

I have a DevOps on-premise server and using Azure DevOps Server data source developed a PBI report. But when I deployed the report to my on-premise PBI server. I do not know how to refresh it. There is no Data Source security setup and data refrehsing setup in server side. What is the concept here? should I assign ssrs service account access to DevOps and the report will be refreshed by clicking refresh button?

Thanks in advance

11 REPLIES 11
Msaeed90
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue 
is there any solution even by connecting to the REST API of azure DevOps instead of the analytics views?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having this exact same issue. When I check the refresh history of the report, I see the below error. This is driving me up a wall trying to figure it out.

SessionID: 7c35e4e9-64df-42d8-8a8c-6a3fad1f6a1f

[0] -1055784932: The import AzureDevOpsServer.AnalyticsViews matches no exports. Did you miss a module reference?. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

[1] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-xuding-msft 

Any guidance you can share on how to get the Azure DevOps Server connector to work with a report on Power BI Server would be greatly appreciated.

@v-xuding-msft 

I am using PowerBI Desktop Janurary 2019 on-premise. I can refresh the data in Desktop no problem.

But when I deployed it to server, as you can see below, data source greyed out and I could not set up data refresh schedule. What is the concept here? is it a live data source? no need to set up the schedule? which credential is using for the data source?

1.png2.png3.png4.png

@Mrquestionmark I have the same issue as you. I couldn't get my Azure DevOps/VSTS report to refresh from the On-Prem server, but the scheduled refresh did work when I moved it to the Power BI Cloud.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Curious if anyone else has a solution for this.  Just tried to publish our first PBI reporting hitting devops to our on premise server, getting similar errors.

pbi_devops_error.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I spent 2 days with Microsoft troubleshooting this issue. This is what we figured out:

Problem

I am attempting to do a data refresh for a power bi dashboard that has a connection to analytic services in azure dev ops. having an issue with the analytics services that connects my Azure Boards to Power BI. I get an error when the scheduled refresh runs. I’ve spent two days trying everything suggested on forums etc, but my issue doesn’t appear to be the same.  Right now , I will have to manually update this dashboard every 2 hours which isn’t the best plan.

Error Message

jmostert_1-1597945231111.png

Findings

Azure DevOps Data Source is not supported in PBIRS today. That is the reason we are seeing the message in Schedule Refresh Screen.

jmostert_0-1597945173993.jpeg

However, It is supported in Power BI Service. We understand you are working with your internal team regarding PBI Cloud Service details.

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mrquestionmark ,

If you want to configure schedule refresh, you need to publish it to web portal.  In the Desktop, you only can refresh manually by the button. For more details, please view the document below.

How to configure Power BI report scheduled refresh 

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xue,

Thanks for your quick response. I did deployed it to my on-Premise pbi server but there was no data source security setup for this data source.  What is the concept here? should I assign ssrs service account access to DevOps and the report will be refreshed by clicking refresh button?

@v-xuding-msft 

Hi Xue,

Thanks for your quick response. I did deployed it to my on-Premise pbi server but there was no data source security setup for this data source.  What is the concept here? should I assign ssrs service account access to DevOps and the report in ssrs web portal will be refreshed by clicking refresh button?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.