Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ruyguy
Frequent Visitor

Azure Data Catalog cannot open a Power BI report using SSAS data source.

My team is currently unable to open a Power BI report from the Azure Data Catalog that uses a SSAS data source, SQL sources work fine.  This is the case for both Tabular and Multdimensional models.  Power BI desktop launches but the data source is not available.  This functionality was available to us a couple of months back but seems to be an issue after we installed the June release and it continues with July.  We are able to open the same SSAS sources in an Excel file just not through Power BI.

6 REPLIES 6
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ruyguy,

What do you mean about "open a Power BI report from the Azure Data Catalog that uses a SSAS data source"? Do you mean that a report which you're using the Azure Data Catalog REST API to push the SSAS data from Azure Data Catalog into Power BI cannot be opened on your computer? 

Have you received any error when opening the desktop file? Could post some screenshots on this issue? Smiley Happy

Regards

I'm not exactly sure how to post pictures but hopefully I can explain a little better.  When I view one of the analysis services dimension in ADC I go do to "Open In...".  I then select Power BI Desktop.  Power BI desktop opens just fine but the referenced data source from the model that I had selected does not open with it, none of the dimesnions are showing in the fields section of Power BI.  Within the Power BI desktop report that just opened I'll then go to Edit Queries>>Data Source Settings.  From here I noticed that under Edit Permissions my Credentials type is set to Windows which is correct.  When I go to Change Source, I see that the the correct server and database is selected but Import is selected instead of Connect Live which would be an issue for a 800MB cube and even with Import selected the report is not attempting to import the data.  All of this works just fine if I select Excel from Open In..... but since we're migrating to Power BI this has caused some issues.  I hope this is a bit more clear and I can send pics please just let me know how or where.

@ruyguy

Could you please go to Query Editor and check which cube are you connecting from PBI Desktop? Then verify that the cube is still there by connecting to the same database using a different tool (SSMS or Excel). It is better to provide a screenshot or video about the queries and connection.

Best Regards,
Herbert

I've actually validated the same results from both tabular and mult-dimensional models.  I did open a ticket with Microsoft to get the issue resolved but they are now telling me that this is correct behavior and that to open a Power BI report using a SSAS based data source you'll need to import the model as opposed to connecting live.  Obvsiouly this solution only works for very very small SSAS models.  I'm really hoping that this gets corrected since this functionality is key to our ADC usage.

We are a large government department who are in the process of implementing Azure Data Catalog (or not) - All of our connections to Tabular models are "connect live" due to security restrictions.

We have an urgent call with MS to discuss this issue in the comming days. It seems odd to me that you might as well not register a data asset if it exceeds a manageable size for import.

Hi @ruyguy,

According to your description above, I have reproduced the same issue on my environment. I will report this issue internally and post back if there is any feedback. Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.