Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AlongTheseLines
Advocate I
Advocate I

Azure Data Catalog Integration?

Are there any details available on what integration with the Azure Data Catalog might look like? Will it support query sharing?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi all,

From the Azure Data Catalog FAQ: You can think of Azure Data Catalog as an evolution of the Data Catalog. Azure Data Catalog delivers similar capabilities for data source publishing and discovery, but is focused on broader scenarios and not dependent on Office 365. Shortly after the Azure Data Catalog becomes generally available the two catalogs will merge into a single service.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/data-catalog-frequently-asked-questions/#q-...

Please let me know if this answers your question and gives you the information you need.

Edit: This is Matthew from the Azure Data Catalog team, so please feel free to ask questions if you have them. You can also visit the Azure Data Catalog forum ( https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/home?forum=azuredatacatalog ) for questions specific to ADC.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I couldn't find this specific use case in the Azure Data Catalog ideas so logged a new idea:
https://feedback.azure.com/forums/906052-data-catalog/suggestions/36444655-power-bi-connector-get-da...

Like other commenters there I am amazed by the lack of integration between Azure Data Catalog and Power BI.

It's really bizarre as Azure Data Calalog emerged from the old Power BI for Office 365 data catalog, and you need to have a Power BI Pro license to use that feature in Excel!

ADC should also be supported as a data source in Power BI's dataflows.

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals
ForcaTaico
Resolver II
Resolver II

Would like to see "Azure Data Catalog" in "Get Data" in Power BI Desktop.

Any updates?

great question....

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

When the two products merge, what licensing implications will it have?

Right now Data Catalog is part of Power BI license. Are you saying that Azure Data Catalog will be bundled into Power BI from the licensing perspective?

We're still working on the licensing details, so please stay tuned on this front.

Any update on this!!! This post was over a year ago. I am starting to get a little heated here. . . Isn't this service something we users are licensed to have and utilize as part of the Pro Power BI experience??

djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

If you're experiementing with O365, please read one of my previous posts regarding Microsoft Planner. You can accidentally delete all your Power BI Workgroups in an instant through Planner. A bug they need to fix immediately

djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

From what I've read, this is still not available.

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

it definitely would be good to get a status update on that.

timrodman
Helper I
Helper I

Side question. Is Azure Data Catalog the same as the Power Query feature pictured below or is it something different?

2015-07-16_06-56-19.png

Hi all,

From the Azure Data Catalog FAQ: You can think of Azure Data Catalog as an evolution of the Data Catalog. Azure Data Catalog delivers similar capabilities for data source publishing and discovery, but is focused on broader scenarios and not dependent on Office 365. Shortly after the Azure Data Catalog becomes generally available the two catalogs will merge into a single service.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/data-catalog-frequently-asked-questions/#q-...

Please let me know if this answers your question and gives you the information you need.

Edit: This is Matthew from the Azure Data Catalog team, so please feel free to ask questions if you have them. You can also visit the Azure Data Catalog forum ( https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/home?forum=azuredatacatalog ) for questions specific to ADC.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am still not clear on how do i connect from Power bi to azure data catalog. 

djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Anonymous,

Andre is correct. Currently, the Azure Data Catalog does not connect directly to Power BI. The Microsoft documentation incorrectly states that it can.

However, you can use the Azure Data Catalog REST API to push the data into Power BI if you wish. It is actually quite a simple API if your IT area will allow you to set it up. There is a step-by-step guide for this which can easily be found.

Cheers,

D

This is a joke. Implementing a polished self service BI tool like Power BI to bring the data closer to the business people. Doing the same with letting the business people document the data. These are two awesome ideas... and then... you do not connect them? ! Please update us and tell us that one of you guys is implementing this right now.
If your sales sell the glossary feature of the azure data catalog, i really do not care to pay for that integration too. It is the only reason to build a data cataloge, to improve a self service bi solution.
Thank you, for sharing your thoughts, MS.

definitely would like to hear an update. 

I agree, these itegration pieces between the Azure Data Catalog, Excel, and PowerBI are key. The licensing also needs to be revisited for these products. As it is now it is impossible to roll out the Azure Data Catalog to a huge organization at $1/person/month if you have to prepay for all of them. Change the licensing to a usage based model and let it take off!

Agree, would like an update on this integration. I also think the licensing for Azure Data Catalog needs to be revisited....something similar to Power BI Premium where you can allow all users in your organization (10,000+) without paying $1 per user per month. I would be willing to pay $1 per user that actually reads or writes to the catalog for that month but currently you have to pay for them up front even if they don't use it!

the short answer is that you can't.  it works great from excel but it does not work at all from power bi desktop. 

I don't see anything in the preview to indicate it is the same.  Seems like a very different offering but still lots of potential for integration.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.