Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Azure Data Bricks - SparkSQL ODBC Driver

I am trying to connect to Azure Data Bricks from Tableau Desktop as well as Power BI Desktop.  I installed the Tableau Driver SimbaSpark ODBC 64, which happens to be version 1.09, from my corporate Enterprise DownLoad Page.  The Data Bricks documentation at https://docs.databricks.com/user-guide/bi/tableau.html#connect-tableau-and-databricks indicates that 

is required. 
Today, I installed Power BI Desktop.  See About dialog

About dialogAbout dialog

I tested connecting Power BI Desktop to a Databrick cluster.  I encountered this message.
Power BI error.png

Later I set up a DSN following this process https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-databricks/connect-databricks-excel-python-r#set-up-a-d..., and I discovered that my ODBC driver is the wrong version (which is corroborated by the Data Brick documentation with regard to Tableau).

SparkODBC version error.png

My questions here are:

1.  With regard to Power BI Desktop, should I be concerned about the above version error? 

2.  Does Power BI Desktop use the same Simba Spark SQL ODBC driver that I tested? 

3.  Does Power BI Desktop comes bundled with its own JDBC driver?

4.  If yes to #3, do I need to be concerned about which version of Power BI Desktop that I am using?

5.  Could the version of Power BI Desktop determine which version of the Spark Driver that I am trying to connect with to Azure, and be incompatible in connecting Hive tables in Azure Data Bricks?  

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

According to your error message, I think this issue should more related to your odbc driver, please double check and confirm you installed a correspond version.

In addition, what type of spark you test? Azure spark or on-premise spark datasource? If you mean azure spark, I'd like to suggest you use azure HDinsight spark connector to get data:

Tutorial: Analyze Apache Spark data using Power BI in HDInsight

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Azure HDInsight driver is not the correct driver for connecting to Data Bricks Hive tables. 

Azure HDInsight Spark.png

I do not have a Azure HDInsight server set up.

After I installed Simba Spark ODBC 1.02.09 driver, I successfully tested the ODBC driver following the instructions at

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-databricks/connect-databricks-excel-python-r#set-up-a-d....

Simba Spark 1.2 ODBC test 20120214.png

I am now able to connect via Tableau Desktop and Power BI to Data Bricks tables.

Tableau desktop screenshot 1 20190219.pngTableau desktop screenshot  2 20190219.pngTableau desktoop screenshot 3 20190219.png

Power BI navigation.png

I am however still encountering

[Microsoft][Hardy] (34) Error from server: Could not resolve host for client socket..

when I am not on the public Wifi.  I suspect that the corporate proxy server may be a second issue here.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Maybe you can try to update power bi to latest version and try again.

BTW, you can also considered to open a support ticket to get more support form dev team it is free for pro users.

submit a support ticketsubmit a support ticket

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.