Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Azure Cost Management - Power Query Editor Expression.Error Cannot convert value null

Hey all,

I'm directily connected to the Azure cost management tool from my Power BI Desktop client. Everything works fine, I can and manipulate all of my data when I connect to my specified enrollment number. 

My problems begin when I try to edit the Power Query to only filter for cost information in a certain subscription account. When I try to filter down I get the following error:

"

Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value null to type Record.
Details:
Value=
Type=[Type]

"

Doing some quick googling, I saw two proposed solutions: removing all null values from my dataset, or alternatively, changing all null values to text strings to work around this issue. I've tried both, and sadly, neither works. In fact, both proposed solutions actually replicate the same error listed above.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Ideally I will be able to an transform my data set to filter for and select only the information I want, rather than import all of the data at once.

Thanks in advance! 

7 REPLIES 7
Bahneby
Frequent Visitor

@Anonymous, I am facing the same annoying problem. Did you find any solution?

Best regards,
Johannes

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Can you please share some dummy data to test? It should help us to clarify these and test to troubleshoot them.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey All,

Apologies for the delayed response. I believe that there was no issue with my querie, but rather the Azure cost manager data source bugged out. Sometimes I get the aforementioned error, and sometimes, without changing one bit of code, it works perfectly fine. I wonder if it has to do with my connection. At any rate, I've nested my code in the "try otherwise" loop mentioned above. It doens't fix the error, but it makes it less annoying.

Thanks for the help

Gdurego

Hi @Anonymous,

It may be related to power bi and azure data source connection and corresponding service status.  Perhaps you can open a ticket contact to the power bi team to trace the backend status for further support.

submit a support ticketsubmit a support ticket

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @v-shex-msft ,

That would be much apprepciated. I can't seem to wrap my head around why this error occures so sporadically. Even when I don't have any transformation steps there are occasions where the data query returns the same error. Other times - with the same data query and the same Power BI Desktop file - it works perfectly fine.

gdurego_0-1600885351168.png

This is my blank query that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Below is how I connect to the Azure Cost Management tool. For privacy reasons, I have removed the enrollment number. In my query, I use the correct enrollment number, and input 1 for the number of months.

gdurego_1-1600885419464.png

Thanks,

Giulio

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Did you ever get it to work? I am having the same exact problem. I get the error as soon as I navigate to the table.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

encapsulate the offending Power Query statement in a "try" ... "otherwise" bubble.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.