Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FelipeDBA
Frequent Visitor

Azure Analysis Services - December Update Problem

Hi! My PowerBI Desktop has updated to December/20 version this morning and suddenly my pbix files that uses Live Connection to  Azure Analysis services stoped to open. I'm getting 2 erros messages:

"Windows authentication isn't supported in DirectQuery mode for this data source"
and

"Name validation is not supported for readonly schemas"

Looking at the PowerBI blog I found a post from yesterday explaining the possibility of use Direct Query for Analysis Services and for this error messages the connection is being forced to use direct query and it is with problems.

If anyone know a better channel to adress this problem direct with microsoft, I appreciate.

FelipeDBA_0-1608228857102.png

Regards!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @FelipeDBA  ,

You can try to clear the permission of the Azure Analysis Services connection from the data source settings

1. Open a blank power Bi report and enter the data source settings
  2. Select the correct global permission and delete it
  3. Open power Bi report to connect with Azure Analysis Services for live connection. You should be prompted to log in. Select Microsoft / organization to log in. You should be able to connect again

For your question, I found a similar post for you to check:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Azure-cube-connection-issue/idi-p/1556258

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/DirectQuery-for-Power-BI-datasets-and-Analysis-Services-Erro...

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JayanK

Hello,

I was also facing this issue and was able to resolve the live connection issue with you suggestion. Thank you.

However, for reports which has other data sources ( sharepoint online and OData ) and Azure Analysis Service with import mode, I'm still not able to connect.

Once uploaded to Power BI Online, I'm required to add the datasource to the gateway and encountering error as below:

Unable to create data source. An invalid connection string has at least one of the passed arguments which does not meet the parameter specification. Please check the data source connection string.

Details:

Prod-GW01: Authentication failed: User ID and Password are required when user interface is not available. 

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @FelipeDBA  ,

You can try to clear the permission of the Azure Analysis Services connection from the data source settings

1. Open a blank power Bi report and enter the data source settings
  2. Select the correct global permission and delete it
  3. Open power Bi report to connect with Azure Analysis Services for live connection. You should be prompted to log in. Select Microsoft / organization to log in. You should be able to connect again

For your question, I found a similar post for you to check:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Azure-cube-connection-issue/idi-p/1556258

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/DirectQuery-for-Power-BI-datasets-and-Analysis-Services-Erro...

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.