Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

M_OConnor
Helper I
Helper I

Avoiding 'zero' values in a DAX when you have multiple selected in a filter

Let's say I want to show a bar graph showing Year on Year gross profit for stores broken down into speciic products.

Here's an example of some data I have for three stores. Let's say they sell chainsaws (among other things):

Table of DAta.PNG

I have used the following logic to create this... Which works in almost every situation other than the bar graph:

Note that due to a way in which I've created a weekly/monthly subset, I need the 'previous year' value to be in the source data, not calculated using 'sameperiodlastyear...

Gross Profit = caulculate(sum(TABLE[Gross Profit This year]), unrelated conditions..)
Gross Profit Last year = caulculate(sum(TABLE[Gross Profit Last year]), unrelated conditions..)

Gross Profit YoY= = SWITCH(TRUE(),
[Gross Profit Last Year] = 0, BLANK(),
[Gross Profit Last Year] <> 0, calculate(([Gross Profit] -[Gross Profit Last Year]) / [Gross Profit Last Year]))

In my bar graph, I've set the visual filter to not show blank YoY (as not doing this causes the bars to ALL go blank).

Here's what I want if I Click Slicer = Store 1, Store 2, Store 3

Right Graph.PNG

This is what I get. 

Wrong Graph.PNG

I thought that my DAX code would have caused the YOY value for Stores 1 and 3 to go blank for Chainsaws, but it seems to still include them because store 2 has a value. 

I just want store 2's YoY to show, BUT I want to keep the multi-select functionality, because all stores may have sold batteries and bikes still. Any tips from within Power BI?

Note: I'd rather do it in PBI than adding a YoY column in SQL where possible - It's doable as a last resort but I anticipate some other aspects of the dashboard needing things to be done at a PBI level. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
smarthp29
Helper I
Helper I

@M_OConnor 

What if you created another Gross Profit column which only has value if GP Last Year <>0

IF GP_LY = 0 then 0 else GP

So your 3rd column would be
Product          GP_Calculation 

Chainsaw                    0

Chainsaw                    417

And then you this column for calculation

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @M_OConnor ,

You try to do it using DIVIDE () function:

Gross Profit YoY = 
DIVIDE(
    [Gross Profit] -[Gross Profit Last Year],
    [Gross Profit Last Year],
    BLANK()
)

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

smarthp29
Helper I
Helper I

@M_OConnor 

What if you created another Gross Profit column which only has value if GP Last Year <>0

IF GP_LY = 0 then 0 else GP

So your 3rd column would be
Product          GP_Calculation 

Chainsaw                    417

And then you this column for calculation

@smarthp29  Cheers, I'll try that and use that exclusively when I'm calculating YoY. Will let you know.

Would this column be something in the data source layer or a dax column? This would be fine as it's not the final calculation.

Cheers

It would depend on how your data gets refreshed. 

For example, if you get post dated transactions then I would suggest a DAX Calculated Column. If not then getting the column configured in the datasource is always the best option. In case you are unsure, DAX Calculated Column shoudl be implemented to ensure you future proof it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.