Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Roseventura
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Averaging Rolling Quarters without Filter

I need to calculate what the (rolling) Average is for the last 4 (complete) quarters. 

For example, I have this matrix table:

image1.jpg

The values represent Total $$ in the quarter, broken down by week (13 weeks in a quarter).  I need a calculation that can look back over the last 4 complete quarters (2017-Q2, 2017-Q3, 2017-Q4, 2018-Q1) and give me an average but WITHOUT using a filter. 

I can get what I need if I have a filter in place.  For instance, here are the correct averages if I used a filter:

image2.jpg

But I need this to be automatic so when the next quarter is complete, it adjusts and the user doesn’t have to constantly change the filter.

NOTES:  The “Week Number” refers to the week number in the quarter.  Also, we use a 4-4-5 fiscal calendar and yes, I have a DATE table which is set up for fiscal dates.

3 REPLIES 3
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

it would be really helpful if you could create a pbix file that contains sample data and upload the file to onedrive or dropbox and finally share the link to this file.

You mention the following:

• complete quarter
    How can a quarter be recognized as complete, I assume there are week nombers assigned  to quarters, and if data is available for the latest week or day of the quarter, the quarter will be recognized as complete?
  • 4-4-5 fiscal calendar
    At least for me this is a somewhat unusual calendar, for this reason it will help me a lot if do not have to recreate a date table by myself

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Tom,

Here is a copy of my sample file:  https://arrowelectronics-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/r/personal/rventura_arrow_com/Documents/Sample.pbix?c...

You can't necessarily tell if the quarter is complete simply by checking to see if week 13 has values > 0.  As soon as a quarter starts, there would be values > 0  (one would hope!)  So I've identified what the current quarter is (see those measures), and then start with the quarter prior to that.

Let me know if you need more info or if you can't open the above link.

Rose

Hi Rose,

I can't access the file. It asked me to log in.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.