Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sakhan1021
Regular Visitor

Averages in a summary view per type/category?

Hi Community!

This is my first post , embarking on my journey in Power BI/DAX.  I am working with work order data  that i've pulled into my model in PBI desktop. 

The two columns below represent a total number of est. hours (WO_NUM1) for each year.  There are two measures I have that essentially apply a filter via the following measure on this data:

Filter 2018 Completion = CALCULATE(SUM('Track-It Static 7-7-2018'[WO_NUM1]), 'Track-It Static 7-7-2018'[Complete Date]="2018")
Calc Full 2018 = CalculatedMeasures[Filter 2018 Completion] * 2

The two above essentially give me the total I am expecting in the table below.  However, what I ultimately need is an Average of these three values and display in a row per "TYPE".   I hope this makes sense.  Again, very new to DAX/Power BI. 

Any thoughts on how I might achieve this?  

avg needed.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Drop type and hours in a table visual, and next to drop menu in hours, change aggregation method to average. This drop down option is where you drop column in the values section.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Sorry, the average of what 3 numbers exactly?

Welcome!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hello, any ideas on how I might achieve this?

Can you share what is expected result you are looking for?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Thanks.  Yes, I am looking to achieve the following -

return a single row in a table that takes each type and outputs the average of the three years.  My table has many rows for each type similar to what I show in the original post.  so imagine different values in type for 2016, 2017, 2018 and the values in wo_num1 associated with each year.  

I am trying to return a single row per type with the average of the three values under WO_NUM1.

would you mind showing the expected result. like put some example in excel sheet and explain with data.

DATA TABLE  
TYPEYEARHOURS
System a2018200
System a2017500
System a20161000
system b201850
system b2017200
system b2016400
system c2018130
system c2017250
system c2016560

TYPEAVG 
System an 
systembn 
system cn 

I'd like to return the what you see in the grid where just TYPE and AVG are the columns; one row per 'Type'

Drop type and hours in a table visual, and next to drop menu in hours, change aggregation method to average. This drop down option is where you drop column in the values section.

Hello @Greg_Deckler

Sorry, that would be the values listed under column 'WO_NUM1'.  The example is just a subset of rows.  In my current table, there are 3 rows (for each yr 2016/17/18) for each system.  I am looking to get a table that gets me an average of the 3 values on a single line - i.e. system.  I hope I am making sense. Cheers! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors