Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dellis81
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

AverageX and matrix subtotals

Good Morning!

I am having challenges with per unit calculations cascading in an income statement.   I have three related tables

1) IS Header (income statement format)  Dimension Table, 1->many to the Consolidated Transactions table (only detail report lines, excludes report subtotals)

2)  ProjectGroupSetup (includes the Production year)  Dimension Table 1->many to the Consolidated Transactions table

3)  Consolidated Transactions (financial and statistical records)  fact table with relationship to both IS Header and ProjectGroupSetup

In the screenshot below - I have two production (crop) years selected and you can see - for those rows with subtotals, I am lacking the crop acre calculation.    The uniqueness, is these rows have no direct relationship between the fact and IS Header dimension table.

CropISAcres.PNG

Measure I am using is presented below - and as expected, if I was to remove the All(IS Header) then acres are blanked out.

I have also attempted 

VAR AvgXReportLine =
AVERAGEX (
FILTER (
VALUES ( ProjectGroupSetup[ProdYear] ),
'ProjectGroupSetup'[ProdYear] < YEAR ( TODAY () )
),
VAR calctable =
CALCULATETABLE (
'Consolidated Transactions',
'Consolidated Transactions'[SubHeader] = "CropAcres",
ALL ( ISHeader)
)
RETURN
CALCULATE ( [Sum of Quantity], calctable ))

If I was to just use the Calculate ( [Sum of Quantity], calctable )) - avoid going thru the iterator, then my problems go away.  IT is something relating to the filter and values(years) within the iterator.

Unfortunately those I am working with - want to see average (dollar) values for the selected years - thus I need to use the equivalent averageX denominator.   Summing across multiple years won't work.

Secondly - as I was putting this together - Under Fixed Costs (cash) $1190 - I see Acres has the total acres for both years (4,011 vs the average 2,055.   The difference - 2018 was the only year w/an expenditure.

Always appreciate wisdom and support from this forum!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Dellis81
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Thank you for your response - and apologize for delay. Yes, I realize very difficult to grasp without seeing the entire model. But - just yesterday I figured out my problem on missing data - relationship had gotten changed... I don't know why or how - but that seem to resolve the issue. As for matrix subtotals - I am getting closer, but still not satisfied. But - let me repost and try again and bettter clarify the issue.

Also a few days ago, I learned how to get massive data into the "add table" function, and that will greatly help in the future of providing meaningful questions to the forum.

Again thank you - and without help from the forum - novices like me would be lost.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

So, if there is no crop information for a selected year... what would you like the average to be ? 0 ?

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!