Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nmckbcs
Helper I
Helper I

Average to include blank months

Hello,

is there a way that my formula can include blank months.. I am using the below formula and would like to be able to get an average of 19.06 instead of 27.24. However, Power BI will exclude any months with no values in the formula. Below you will notice there is no values for March and May because of low sample size; however, we do want that to be included in the average because when folks are looking at this data YTD they will compare it to the overall YTD average and it all should match.

Link to file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1siXptcM3FGuvQ3VH4qbC3aBdgFUa0Dgl/view?usp=sharing

AVG_Category_Breakdown =
AVERAGEX(SUMMARIZE(VALUES('download to use'[Month]),[Month],"ABCD",[Category_Breakdown]),[ABCD])

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 7.14.29 AM.png
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're not working with a date table. This causes you to have no blank data at the missing months because those missing months are not actually there for that category.

@nmckbcs

What I believe is that you should create a dimension table. It can be date dimension table or only a single column with months. Then you can create relationship and show the months with 0 values.

Can you show me how I could accomplish this with the creation of a date table? The pbix is above. I have a date table in my original file set I just shorted this one down and provided dummy data to try and give a sampel file for assistance.

AlB
Super User
Super User

@nmckbcs

Maybe use the query editor to replace Nulls (blanks) with zero?

This may cause additional issues is my guess but it is an alternative I am considering if no one has a better idea. @affan I added a link above in my original post.

@nmckbcs

Perhaps SUM( ) divided by COUNTROWS( Table1) if Table1 has other columns with non-blanks in the rows where the column being averaged has blanks

affan
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @nmckbcs

Can you consider sharing a sample from your 'download to use' table? This will help getting the solution fast.

Regards

Affan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors